What Should I seal this floorpan with?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I cracked into this truck I just bought and quickly realized their ghetto attempts to seal the windshield had failed, the carpet was wet and had been for some time.

PXL_20230330_175840037.MP.jpg

It's good and scaled, but the bottom is still white. Those 3 holes were punched by the general, I have no idea how they were sealed from the factory. I'm about to swing out and hit it with the wire brush and see what awaits me, what I'm wondering is what should I use to seal it? I'm after something more professional than POR-15, but I really have no idea how clean I'll get it.

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
I cracked into this truck I just bought and quickly realized their ghetto attempts to seal the windshield had failed, the carpet was wet and had been for some time.

View attachment 218635

It's good and scaled, but the bottom is still white. Those 3 holes were punched by the general, I have no idea how they were sealed from the factory. I'm about to swing out and hit it with the wire brush and see what awaits me, what I'm wondering is what should I use to seal it? I'm after something more professional than POR-15, but I really have no idea how clean I'll get it.

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
when you clean it up and it;s not swiss cheese a rust converter is the easiest. sand blasting is very very messy only done when you are asking for trouble

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
After cleaning the metal, hit it with epoxy primer and topcoat with a single stage 2k urethane. For the holes uou can measure the diameter and try to find body plugs that fit.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
I like jcelk's idea of the rust converter plus hitting that with the epoxy primer and and topcoat suggested by Clone TIE Piiot. if I was doing this as a flip, I would do the rust killer and then apply a good layer of fibreglass resin by itself as a low priced way to seal the metal. Sand the first coat down, apply a second, and then paint it with a single stage enamel. As for the holes, a visit to the local body supply shop and use CloneTiePilot's idea about the plugs.

Nick

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
You can use one of those clean and strip discs on an angle grinder to get the loose stuff then Ospho what is left to get it spotless. But unless you are going for a show truck I think that is overkill.

Personally if it was me, I'd remove the loose stuff, scuff any surrounding paint, treat with Rust Mort and brush flat black Rustoleum over it. That's what I did on my Dodge. It looked pretty good and held up well. On my F150 I used a product called SEM Rust Trap which is like POR-15 on the rusty spots. Then scuffed and topcoated with Gravitex. Also worked fine but more expensive and no more effective than the Rustoleum I used on the Dodge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I was out at the truck today, scored some wheels for it and then took a quick whack at the floor pan. I just used what I had on hand, an angle grinder with knotted cup brush knocked out the scale and some naval jelly that's been on the shelf forever ate up a bunch of the rust. How much cleaner should I expect the rust mort to get this?

PXL_20230409_220145828.MP.jpg

Nov 4, 2012
The Rust Mort will remove the lightest areas of rust, but most of that will probably just get converted and turn black. The longer you can keep it wet, the better it will work. Here are a couple before/afters with Rust Mort on my Dodge's floor to give you an idea of what to expect.
20220321_120212.jpg
20220329_162443.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Yep. The blacker you can get the affected areas to turn, the greater the degree of neutralization that has been achieved. You can even do a heavy coat, let it dry, and then take a wire wheel, or flap wheel to that surface again, Strip the surface one more time, and re-coat heavy a second time. Getting the heavy top debris off and as close to good metal as possible is desirable but you don't want absolutely clean metal because the RustMort needs some rust present to react with in order to drive the neutralization chemical reaction.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor