what size cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooba1324

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2009
i have a 1987 cutlass 442 with 8.5 3.73 rear end th400 trans with shift kit stock stall sbc 350 60 over 400 heads i think there 64 cc stock springs what the biggest cam i can use with out changing my stall and springs on my heads

cutty

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2008
near london ontario canada
what springs are in there now?

scooba1324

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2009
stock spring as far as i know my buddy was telling me to go with 510 lift but that seams way to big

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
another problem is the studs pulling out with a big cam on stock heads with out screw in studs I had it happen to me with only 460 lift

hp3445

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Southern New Jersey
If it is a track car... go big... if it's for street use.. you will lose vaccum with a really big cam.. and you will be disappointed in the power curve..everything has to match... call Comp cams with your vehicle specs and they will get you the correct cam you are looking for.. but be prepared to answer alot of questions.. GVW, trans, stall, rear, head size, stroke, carb size, intake manifold, is it fuel injected, power adders...ect...
it all adds up for the perfect combo.. alot of guys at the track or on boards will not give too many details about their cams... because that is the one of the Top Secret things in the car.. unless it is off the shelf.. I have a Mustang with a 331 stroker and S/C and a custom cam.. that is the secret... the cam... I am building a 454 BBC with an 8-71 on top for the Regal... That cam for sure will be a secret..I'm not trying to be an *ss.. It's the nature of racing... Back in the day everyone wanted to know what kind of cams we were running.. we always said a custom grind and never give specifics.. I don't know the specs or lift? I lost the cam card.. lol

Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor