what size cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananaMC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2006
Tacoma, Washington
I need to know if i can run a 275 duration cam on a 305. will i need the stock size intake or can i run a tunnel ram. need to know soon as i am finishing gathering my ignition parts and will soon order my cam. i already have multiple carbs & intakes to use. if not can what is the biggest lumpiest cam i can use. my motor is a 305 with a 331 stroker kit performed by total performance of tacoma.

Is this a street engine?? I'm almost assuming it is. First off don't even think of using a Tunnel Ram on a street engine, unless you'd rather be tinkering & tuning instead of driving it.

Get a dual-plane intake like a Weiand Stealth, Holley Street Dominator, or Edelbrock RPM.

Now back to the cam. Is this 275* advertised or @.050?? If it's at .050 FORGET IT. Anything over 240* @.050 for a street engine is pointless. First off, you are dealing with a small displacement engine that's not making alot of low end torque. Torque is what shines on the street, not screaming high RPM horsepower that you rarely get to use. Not only will you not be making sh*t for power under 4,500 RPM'S with a way too big cam, you'd need a stall converter of 3,500-4,000. So now you'd have a useless engine with a narrow powerband that would get burned from a stoplight by a Pinto, get my point.

Pick a cam with NO MORE than .480-.500 lift, 230* duration @.050, & is ground on 110* lobe center. This cam will still have a choppy/mild rough idle & will make great low end AND high end (to 5,800) power.

Also, what's your comp. ratio & what are the heads you are using??

agrees with ^82355supreme

the engine is for the street. it has 8.5/1 compression and edelbrock performer heads pre-assembled. the reaason i asked about the tunnel ram is that i really enjoy old school t-buckets an they get around just fine with mile high tunnel rams and lumpy cams. i also happen to have an old school edelbock tunnel ram from like 1965. it is in very good shape. the other older techs at work all drive some sort of muscle truck. and the two at sound the best have a 275 dur. and a 260 dur but they are boh on 350's.
i was trying to maximize my 4-6000 rpm range for freeway flybyes. my small motor already seems to spin easier than others. i have always been told that high rise intakes and bigger cams mak good high end power.
BTW i dont do much stoplight dragging, my car already attracts too much attention. i just need to be able to pull on toyota supras at 80 mph. :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor