What size is a monte ss rear end?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by patmckinneyracing, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patmckinneyracing

patmckinneyracing Royal Smart Person

I'm not gonna say who but I just got a message from a person who is claiming that a rear end out of an 86' monte ss is NOT a 7.625 measurement. Their claim is that the 7.625 rear end was only found in the later gen. camaros. Now I may be wrong but I want verification on this because I did my research a long time ago and am pretty sure the monte ss's did not get the regular 7.5 rear.

2. Blake442

Blake442 Geezer

They had both.

The 7.5 was in earlier cars ('83-'85?), and the later years got the not-much-better 7.625 ('86-'88 I think).

3. 84cutspreme

84cutspreme G-Body Guru

Not 100% sure of years, but only came with 7.5" & 7.625", even the SS's

4. patmckinneyracing

patmckinneyracing Royal Smart Person

Thanks guys I just wanted to confirm my knowledge on this. I just read the same thing over on the monte carlo ss forum that 83-84 was the 7.5 then the 7.625 was made in 85' and up.

So to the wise a** who sent me this message, and you know who you are:

Might want to double check your facts. I know this isn't a big deal for most of us who consider the 7.625 a 7.5 rear that is only a fraction larger, but if your gonna try and correct me on what rear end I know I have in my car, you better have your facts straight. Nothing like making yourself look like an idiot.

5. 85 Cutlass Brougham

Attacking this logically, the likely reason GM went to a 1/8 in larger ring gear was the tooth engagement on the numerically higher ratio (3.73) used in cars with the Th 200 4R. You see, as you go to a numerically higher ratio, the pinion gear becomes smaller in diameter and has less and less engagement with the ring gear. Now, the early SS cars (at least the 83's) that came with the Th 350 used a 3.42 gear ratio which would have had a larger pinion than the 3.73. So, they probably switched when they went to the overdrive transmission, which I believe was in 1985.

6. Donutboy97

Donutboy97 Greasemonkey

7. 80Maliboo

80Maliboo Apprentice

Maybe you should put your money where your mouth is and measure the gear?

Im sure that would satisfy the unnamed asailant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.