What size kill switch for theft deterrent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84hurst

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2008
Lansing
Getting ready to put a kill switch on the Hurst/olds and wondering if youguys had any pics and/or what size switch you used as far as amps or gauge size??? And correct me if im wrong but is the ignition wire purple??? Also anytype of tips or tricks to do this right would be appriciated!!

84hurst said:
Getting ready to put a kill switch on the Hurst/olds and wondering if youguys had any pics and/or what size switch you used as far as amps or gauge size??? And correct me if im wrong but is the ignition wire purple??? Also anytype of tips or tricks to do this right would be appriciated!!

I haven't done mine yet. All the wiring in the engine bay is custom anyways. I plan on using this one by Flaming River, rated at a continuous 250 amps:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360242461973

!BRK2grgBmk~$(KGrHgoH-CMEjlLl)s+(BJ8pUIm!1!~~_35.JPG

Since I have 2 batteries in my engine bay, I'll be using two of them. The alarm system (or other vital anti-theft systems) will of course bypass the switch.

I'm using a 30A or 35A switch from radioshack. It should be more then plenty for a kill switch. I won't say where I put it or what I wired it to, but I suggest if you do get a killswitch that lights up, don't connect the light so it will light up :lol:

Yeah i got an idea on where to put it, it is the purple ignition wire i need to "reroute" right?

To be safe, you really should wire in a relay so that the switch doesn't need to be of any significant amperage rating.

pasivestarterkill.gif

FE3X CLONE said:
To be safe, you really should wire in a relay so that the switch doesn't need to be of any significant amperage rating.

pasivestarterkill.gif

Well my kill switch is going in the engine bay, between the battery and the fuse/distribution block. Doesn't my kill switch need a certain amount of amperage rating to handle the current flowing when it's in the "on" position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor