What sorcery is this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Umm dont all GM's do that ? Both the 84 Monte and the 03 Safari have done that the whole time I have owned them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I have also observed this behavior on all of the G bodies that I have owned over the years… I think of the 12 V supply in these cars as having a primary and secondary region. The primary region is under the hood and basically consists of the alternator battery and wiring between the alternator, battery and starter. And let’s not forget about the grounds under the hood. The secondary part of the system is the passenger compartment, and it is fed from the positive supply at the starter through the fusible links into the fuse block. In the past when I’ve observed this behavior, I have also measured the 14 V at the battery While the car is running. At the alternator, the 14 Volts does not show the fluctuations that the passenger compartment shows. I’ve never really analyze it any further than this but I have observed that the supply and grounding is beefier under the hood than it is into the passenger compartment or secondary region.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I should clarify and state that the fluctuations are not seen at the alternator battery or starter. They are just observed in the secondary region/compartment

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
all of the above, + bad circuit board or contacts on the cluster/gauges, cluster not pushed in all the way, lots of things could be going on. Take it apart and put it back together again, make sure its all snug and tight. if its all acting flaky that's where I would start.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Voltage guage behavior in that video looks normal to me.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor