What springs for 87 cutlass v6 to buick v8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Ive got moog replacement GN springs with my 350 Buick v8.

Tbh I wish the rears were stiffer/taller.

Ive got new body bushings now so imagine the car about 1" taller.

FB_IMG_1602564965030.jpg

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Ive got moog replacement GN springs with my 350 Buick v8.

Tbh I wish the rears were stiffer/taller.

Ive got new body bushings now so imagine the car about 1" taller.

View attachment 162060

Replace the Front Lower Ball Joints with 1/2" taller ones. You can do it on the car with a free rental tool from Auto zone. Proforged Tall Ball joints are $50/Each. Re align the toe (I Just Eyeball it).

Front will lower 3/4" and car will handle/steer better.

If the back end is squishy, new shocks & a G-body dual airbag kit from Airlift.

For about $350 total, you'll have a better looking, better handling car, and not have to mess with the springs.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I am a proponent of swapping springs. The stock springs are long, relatively low spring rate so they have a low rate of gain as you hit a bump, they bottom out easily on big bumps and move a lot on small bumps, but also have a lot of energy on rebound so if you are going through some dips the suspension 'drops' easily. Basically it's why stock G bodies float so much and act boaty (along with having blown or worn our shocks). If you are good with pure comfort and just want to float down the road, stock springs are fine if they aren't sagging. However, if you want a bit more modern feel that might be a bit more road feel on bumps but not as floaty, going out of the stock G body spring catalog and into the S10/Blazer or F body catalog is a good call a lot of the time.

Moog 5658 or 5660's work well depending on how heavy the car is. I have 5660's uncut on 0.5" tall lower ball joints but my car is heavy (Ac, iron LS, blower, full interior and exhaust) and am happy with it. 5660's need cut for a good ride height on some cars. Plus, the lower ball joints on your car are probably shot so the $100 on new taller lowers is probably money well spent.
1605498751604.png

Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
^^^^^THIS.

I wouldn't leave the v6 springs unless it's drag strip only. Street use needs a stiffer spring. I have 5662s in my Series 2 swap, and they're still too soft for spirited driving.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor