What to do... What to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

Well, I've been thinking lately. Obviously spring time is more-or-less here, and I've been itching to drive the GP around all over. The problem is, it's currently un-inspected AND un-insured. The reason it's un insured is because of the lack of inspection. And the reason it's uninspected is because of a lack of an exhaust. lol. Follow me now? On top of it's exhaust system ending under the back seat (sans muffler + a clogged up 22 year old cat) it could also stand some new brakes as well as the check engine light is mysteriously on. I popped open the hood and the engine was still there. Silly light. Having this said, the tired 3.8L (eventhough it's only got 86k on her) has seen better days, and it's also sucking fuel through a pinched fuel line. All contributing to terrible gas mileage. Obviously in addition to only being a 2 barrel carb. And only having 3 gears certainly isn't helping. My interior work is mainly complete and the body work will resure here in less than a month. So the only issue is really the powertrain. Did I say power? lol. Nevermind. So I was tossing around a few scenarios. Keep the car uninsured and uninspected and finish the body and interior this summer, then save for a swap for over winter (350 or more, plus 4 speed, plus steeper rear end), OR fix the body, interior, and motor and drive as is until the motor goes, then swap it. Either way it goes, the body and interior will be complete by mid-summer for sure. I mean, 100% complete. I'm not looking for this thing to be a drag strip burner or a showcar. I just want a respectable street cruiser. Please give me some ideas there folks!!! Thanks!!

Current car specs:

231ci 3.8L Buick V6

stock 3 speed auto

stock rear end that came with 3.8L and 3 speed

That'll give you an idea of what I'm up against...

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
If you're getting shitty gas milage & no power, you might as well get shitty gas milage & be able to breathe fire.

I don't know you're budget, but if you're capable of doing all of it yourself ( which it does sounds like you are ) gears-$175 trans & converter new- $1200 mild/stout small block complete air cleaner to oil pan-$1500-$2000

So, shooting high, $3500 for a new drivetrain. I guess I got extremely lucky, my car looks like it came off the showroom floor, so body expenses were a non-issue.

By the way, I started with the exact same setup on my Cutlass, only the car/drivetrain only had 46,000 miles & the 3.8L was still a TURD!!! 1 mile on it or 500,000 those engine sucked *ss, naturally aspirated of course. :shock:

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I feel ya on the 3.8. My GP was real cheap, and I'm saving alot of cash by buying parts used (wheels/tires, radio, gauges, etc). So the car has completely changed apperance-wise for next to nothing at all. I like that. But what I don't like is how between my GP and a kite in a drag race, I'd lose. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor