What to do with these lines (AIR system)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeMineaMonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2018
RI
So I removed the AIR system from my 86 Monte. I just can't figure out (or maybe I haven't tried hard enough) what to do with these two Lines. One was a large tube going to the air filter, and the other is a vacuum line that looks like it goes to the carb. Check out the photos. I circled the one where the two vacuum lines end up. At that spot there is also what looks like a spot for another line that isn't there... Not sure what any of that is.

20181024_124118.jpg 20181024_124135.jpg 20181024_125424.jpg

ALSO! I can't seem to loosen the bolts that hold the brass fingers from the AIR system into the manifolds. Has anyone just cut these off and plugged the holes?

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Remove and cap that vacuum line. You can remove the large hose from the air cleaner housing. You could just leave it open. It will pull air from underhood I to the AC. Of course that looks tacky. I suggest getting an older lower half and swap it out or just weld a plug in and fill it that way. People want way too much for air cleaner housings IMO. Maybe I'm old but I won't pay more than $5 for one. I mean every car in the world had one it's not like they are rare.

Either way, that's my advice. I may have one hanging on my wall. If so I'll trade you one of mine for yours if you cover the round trip shipping. I only use the snorkels off them anyway so the extra hole doesn't phase me a bit.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
ALSO! I can't seem to loosen the bolts that hold the brass fingers from the AIR system into the manifolds. Has anyone just cut these off and plugged the holes?

I had an 83 wagon that the AIR lines were rotten on and leaking exhaust noise (pump had already been removed). Couldn't get the fittings out, so I wound up cutting the steel line flush with the fitting and MIG welding the holes shut. Was a lot better access on a 2 post lift, but I suppose it could be done either on a jackstand, or by removing the manifolds from the car.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
As for the air cleaner, you could take a thin piece of sheetmetal a little larger than the hole, paint it satin black or whatever needed to match the air cleaner and epoxy it on the inside of the air cleaner over the hole. Probably need to bend a slight curve into it. Unless you're wanting a more factory look like it was never ever there. Then you probably need to get a patch welded in there and refinish the entire air cleaner. Or leave the hole open. It'll look bad, but won't really hurt anything.

As far as the other lines, I'd go with Ribbedroof and his suggestion of cutting/welding them if you can't get them out.

Reactions: 1 user

MakeMineaMonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2018
RI
Thanks, guys. I'll remove that hose and plug it. I might eventually weld a patch in and refinish it if I paint it or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor