What to Know When Doing an LT1 Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
I figured I'd just start a new thread here instead replying to my build thread.

So, if you've done a successful LT1 swap in you're G-Body, I have a few questions.

First, what was the biggest issue during the swap? Was there something you may have done differently?

Did you keep the AC? Was there issues with that?

How did you do the fuel system?

And finally, is there something important I should know/ do before I dive into the swap myself?

I know that LT1 swaps aren't as popular as they used to be, (if they ever were) and definitely not as common swapping in a LS, but I'm hoping there's still good info out there. TIA

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
To retain A/C, you'll have to notch the right frame rail for compressor access with F or B body accessories.

TBI Monte or GN tank is an easy way to get a baffled EFI-ready tank. No such luxury for wagon guys, though

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I thought this may have to happen.
No it does not. I have done this swap to my gmc caballero and my cutlass wagon. The frame can be massaged to allow clearance for a factory a/c compressor and allows for the p/s lines from a b body to clear. I'll post pics tonight after work along with more details of my swaps.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I bought the Corvette FEAD for the install on my truck. I didn’t want to mess with massaging the frame. The compressor is now on the upper driver-side.

Would not truck accessories off a 350 fit of they're better?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Would not truck accessories off a 350 fit of they're better?
Interesting idea. At the time I didn’t think about it and had sold the entire engine with accessories. I’m quite sure the offset is completely different there may be issues with the intake interfering with brackets

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Interesting idea. At the time I didn’t think about it and had sold the entire engine with accessories. I’m quite sure the offset is completely different there may be issues with the intake interfering with brackets
water pump is driven off the cam. no water pump pulley for belt to go around.

Reactions: 1 users

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
water pump is driven off the cam. no water pump pulley for belt to go around.
Correct sir. Although, I do have an accessory drive from vortec 350, and I may fit it on the LT1 to see if this is even an issue.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor