What to look for when purchasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
Well that car sold before I could get there, but I am going to look at another tomorrow! I asked if I could buy it as a roller (I have my own drivetrain) and he agreed, so if all looks well in person I might be starting Monte 2.0! Here are a couple of pics ahead of me going-

Attachments

• Monte 1.jpg
    Monte 1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 307
  • Monte 2.jpg
    Monte 2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 291
  • Monte 3.jpg
    Monte 3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 287
  • Monte 4.jpg
    Monte 4.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 286
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Well that car sold before I could get there, but I am going to look at another tomorrow! I asked if I could buy it as a roller (I have my own drivetrain) and he agreed, so if all looks well in person I might be starting Monte 2.0! Here are a couple of pics ahead of me going-
Cars parked in the grass always scare me, as they're moisture traps. So look good and hard everywhere you can. Especially body mounts sinking into the frame for rot through purposes.

That said, I've always loved that color monte.

Reactions: 1 users

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
Cars parked in the grass always scare me, as they're moisture traps. So look good and hard everywhere you can. Especially body mounts sinking into the frame for rot through purposes.

That said, I've always loved that color monte.

Thanks for the tip! Funny thing is if I get it I'll be painting it! Hah

LOS HINES

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2020
Check the floor boards. if you have any ramps get the car up in the air and get under there! Or you can pull the carpet back.

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
Check the floor boards. if you have any ramps get the car up in the air and get under there! Or you can pull the carpet back.

Will do! I know that for what I'm willing to spend, and for my goals, the car doesn't have to be PERFECT (especially when it comes to the interior...I have a full interior from my car that's in great shape). But I definitely don't want a rust/rot bucket so I appreciate the help! I'll be thoroughly checking the floor boards, frame, suspension, trunk, etc...I'm driving a good ways just to look at it so I'm not going to rush (or let him rush me) while looking it over.

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
I'll take some closer pictures tomorrow and post them up here - I LOVE the fact that you all are so willing to help out!

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Ah, would also look at the radiator cradle below and at the lower sides where the radiator sits in its rubber feet. Water/coolant will pool there and rot the cradle out. Had it happen to mine and ended up having to dig the whole cradle unit out and score a good one. The rear frame horns where they kick back out behind the wheels after going up and over the rear end will rot along the bottom seam where water gets trapped inside. The rear body mounts attached to those horns die easily as well. Used to be a big market for salvaging them off good frames found under the four doors and doing some replacement surgery to an otherwise good coupe frame. Firewall body mounts and under/beside the heater box if there has been a heater core leak. The firewall mounts are brutal because not only does the firewall Sheetmetal rot away, so does the hole/pocket in the frame because it is a location where crap thrown up by the front wheels tends to land and accumulate. You don't mention the regional location for your donor prize but anything north of the Mason Dixon Line is pretty much Rust Belt Central due to the states habit of throwing salt at the roads in the winter and the stuff loving to eat metal. Oh, yeah, if you can, lift the carpets and check under them. From below it might look okay but the carpet and underlay can trap water and moisture and cause issues.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor