What to look for

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I have been casually looking for a Monte Carlo SS and it has got me thinking. What should one look for when trying to buy a G body? What are somethings that i should look for? which should I just walk away friom and what can be fixed or repaired? I plan on doing a lot of work to the car but I do want a sturdy platform to start with.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Same as any other G body, rusty floor pans, and rotted rear frame rails.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Depending on where you are in the country? I would buy a southern car sight unseen based off of the right pictures and pay the $1000 extra to have it shipped to me before I’d buy a northern salt infested POS no matter how little it appeared to need. You’ll have no idea how bad it actually is until you start unbolting and cutting. Having a car shipped is not a big deal. I’ve done it several times based off of plenty of pictures of my choice and have never been disappointed. I’ve also driven 1000 miles round trip in one day to get a car. The shipping was much easier.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I currently live in NY but will be relocating to Tennesse hopfully in a year. Looking to get out of the salt belt. I have no problem driving to look at a car if its in a 100 mile radius.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I currently live in NY but will be relocating to Tennesse hopfully in a year. Looking to get out of the salt belt. I have no problem driving to look at a car if its in a 100 mile radius.

I’d wait a year

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Find a northern car with a clean interior and a rust-free south/Southwest refugee that does not need a lot of body work. Additional bad spots to watch for - bottoms of the doors, frame rails under the trunk floor, body bushings/bolts, firewall around the A/C. Anything with a vinyl roof should be mistrusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor