What transmission do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevy76monteman

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2006
Portland, Oregon, USA
I recently bought an 86 GP w/ the Buick 3.8-liter V6 and was wondering what transmission that came with. All I know is that it is a 3-speed auto. Also, what would cause the transmission not to go into reverse? It shifts fine into all the other gears, no binding it just does not go into reverse.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
If its the original 3spd it is likely the TH200. I have heard them called 200C or metric trans. But anyway they are the weakest trans that GM made. I would replace it with a TH350, especially if you plan any power upgrades.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
You have a TH-200 or TH-200C They are both 3spd transmissions, one has a Lock-Up torque converter. You can tell by the number of pan bolts and if it has a factory trans pan on it then it will say "METRIC" on the bottom thats why people call them "200 metric" It's a grabage transmission built for mileage not power or reliability but its the same length as a TH-350 and uses the same crossmember bolts so it is a direct swap. As far as the reverse being out, check your linkage and make sure it is engaging the gear. If so you might have lost it completly, reverse is very weak in those transmissions!

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
STONEYH said:
You dont have to change the crossmember when you put in a th350 in place of a 200? No mods to it?
No, as long as your swapping out a TH-200 or TH-200C 3Spd. They are the same length and use the same crossmember. The only mod that you'll have to do is buying a different torque converter, they dont swap over. And you'll need an older style Detent cable, or "kick down" cable. With that you'll need the bracket to mount to the carb. Its fairly strait forward, the hardest part is getting the cable from the parts store... or rather tricking them to give you the part you need, LOL! But its an easy swap. I did it myself in my driveway.

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
There is another transmission, which my 84 GP has: the 250 Metric. I would rather have the 200....

I just replaced the transmission from a local junkyard and got lucky with a decent one. Downshifts a bit hard from time to time....

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
thebaron said:
There is another transmission, which my 84 GP has: the 250 Metric. I would rather have the 200....

I just replaced the transmission from a local junkyard and got lucky with a decent one. Downshifts a bit hard from time to time....
Did you replace it with another 250 or a 200? You can hit and miss with those. My stock TH-200C made it for 175,000 miles before it dropped 2nd and 3rd gear. Most of them dont last much past 60k.

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
First yard I went to had a 250 from an 84 GP, so I picked it up. I bought a chevy pattern one for cheap that did not work, since I did not know of the difference: stupid GM.

I have an extra 250 for a Chevy that had a Shift Kit installed for cheap, if anyone needs one....

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
thebaron said:
First yard I went to had a 250 from an 84 GP, so I picked it up. I bought a chevy pattern one for cheap that did not work, since I did not know of the difference: stupid GM.

I have an extra 250 for a Chevy that had a Shift Kit installed for cheap, if anyone needs one....
Ouch! That sucks... It hard to tell the difference with the bolt patterns, especially if you don't know what it came out of. Most of the junkyards I've been to have all the good transmissions inside on racks, and you dont know what they came out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor