What undercoating do you think works best there?

Best undercoating based on preference?

• Krown

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Corrosion Free

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fluid Film

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Rust Check

• Engine Oil

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Frame Rails? What the **** are those?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Agreed, that is the most best way to make sure it doesn't rot underneath.

I have heard stories of people though, who've driven their cars for decades and they still look brand new from undercoating. Mind you, they wash the outside of the vehicle constantly and spray it themselves to know where exactly the hidden spots are!
Those stories are rare. For every claim about a rust free car that has no rust there are 99 examples to show disproof.

All these things like oil spray, Krown and Rustcheck only work on where they are sprayed. There are hundreds of places on a car it can not reach. Where is does causes a huge mess which is better than rust and frozen bolts. Even winter alone is brutal on a car. How do you wash a car during the sub zero temps? Dry it and okay, wait for a warm day when the road are wet then drive it home. Rinsing underneath does not remove all the salt. There are so many cavities a car wash will not reach.

My advice is for non car people to oil spray their car to help it last longer. Any car that is trying to be preserved needs to be not exposed to salt at all.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I'm not aware of anything to stop or prevent rust. As soon as there is the smallest crack, moisture will seep in and begin the natural process of rust. Most we can do is wash the salt off when possible and save for another car the day it falls apart! When I lived in Detroit, I had a winter car, the door panels flapped in the wind and the fender lips were long gone! But it had a good battery, heater and winter tires (all four)!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Those stories are rare. For every claim about a rust free car that has no rust there are 99 examples to show disproof.

All these things like oil spray, Krown and Rustcheck only work on where they are sprayed. There are hundreds of places on a car it can not reach. Where is does causes a huge mess which is better than rust and frozen bolts. Even winter alone is brutal on a car. How do you wash a car during the sub zero temps? Dry it and okay, wait for a warm day when the road are wet then drive it home. Rinsing underneath does not remove all the salt. There are so many cavities a car wash will not reach.

My advice is for non car people to oil spray their car to help it last longer. Any car that is trying to be preserved needs to be not exposed to salt at all.
That is true, but I'm talking more about rot than actual average rust. It definitely keeps a good part of the under carriage intact for a good long time if you know where to spray.

My Pontiac Bonneville has a great frame, except for one spot where like you said, it didn't cover. It was repaired okay, but that's not the point obviously lol.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I'm not aware of anything to stop or prevent rust. As soon as there is the smallest crack, moisture will seep in and begin the natural process of rust. Most we can do is wash the salt off when possible and save for another car the day it falls apart! When I lived in Detroit, I had a winter car, the door panels flapped in the wind and the fender lips were long gone! But it had a good battery, heater and winter tires (all four)!
I wouldn't say stop or completely keep a car from rusting. My Caprice for example has a good frame but the body has rusted to a fair extent lol.

Now preventing it from having rot for quite a long time, it does work well based on my experiences. But like Rt Jam also mentioned, it is not magic either. It just keeps it from being a problem for awhile.

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
The best way to stop your car from rusting is to park it for the winter . That’s what winter beaters are for.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
The best way to stop your car from rusting is to park it for the winter . That’s what winter beaters are for.
Agreed, which is why I have my Chevrolet for winter and Pontiac for summer.

However, I’m just talking about extending said life of a winter beater. Thats all 💯💯

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor