What was your first car ! Give us some background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Hey folks, Tell us what your first CAR was. And little bit about how you got it and what you did to it.
As in fix it up, Race it , wreck it , got lucky in it.... You know the drill.

My first car Was a 1964 VW Beetle 1200 cc 4 speed. I bought it from my parents insurance man.
$500. had 88K miles and drove like brand new. I was just 15 and only a learners permit.
I remember driving it down Daytona beach in 4th gear doors wide open at 12 mph. It sounded
like a coffee pot percolating. Yup first girl friend lost her virginity in it as well.
I would take it over to this flat area of grass behind some stores after it had been raining
and mud bog it around doing donuts. Fun as hell until all this muddy water came flooding
through the floor heater vents. Took days to clean and dry it out.
Fun car though.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
Well my story is kinda recent first car I bought was my grand prix I had 500$ my first pay check from my job and went out and found the cheapest gbody I could and voila I bought my self I sh*t box so I dragged it home poured gas down the carb and it fired right up good old American Muscle that's a joke this thing was a turd the carb was gungy the tank was like a Mexican toilet after taco night. Well here where the fun starts so me and couple of friends decide lets go drive it well we all Jump in and bam we fall right through the floor. That didn't stop us grabbed some wood and some screws made a seat and drove it around the block well right as I was pulling in my mom pulls in and that is story on how the Grand Prix had to donate it's self

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
72 Chevelle SS 350 Pewter silver, black interior and vinyl top. Cruised it mercilessly. Got hit in right hinge pillar on an icy road. Sold it after it was repaired to a farm kid, who wound up totalling it and sending it off to a salvage yard.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
'63 4 door Impala with a straight 6/ powerglide in it and front drums brakes. You could lock up the brakes on dry pavement! Bought it for $300 and found all the pushrods were bent. After I changed the pushrods and got it running, I discovered the floor boards were rusted when I got on the highway and experienced a dust storm coming in the car. I ended up selling it for a grand a few months later.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
First car was a 1957 chevy that my uncle gave me because he was too old to drive any more and he new I loved the car. It had 28,000 mi and never out in the winter. He would probably roll over in his grave if he saw the transformations the car went threw. It was a mint 2 door belair two tone white and tropical turquoise 6 cylinder auto. Drove it that way threw college and then put a 283 in it. When the auto gave up I converted it to a stick. It stayed like that till I got a 327 w/ a 4 speed and thought I was hot stuff. Why I sold I don't know but wished I would have kept it.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
1980 Monza hatchback. Copper brown over tan. 4-cylinder 4-speed. Put a stereo it in and that was about it. Busted a ball joint trying to reverse-turn in town at 30mph when the tires broke loose and smacked the curb. Actually I was trying to back over the POS neighbor kid but that's another story.

Then it was a '79 Cutlass my dad robbed the 5-speed out of to put in the GP403 and stuck a TH350 in it. The bellhousing/pedals from that car are still in it. Well on the shop floor right now but you get the idea. :D Drove from Chicago to SW Wisconsin once with the water pump vent puking out the water empty ever 1/2 hour or so. The 260 was indestructible. Had the rear frame rails on it replaced but welded to the body when the bushings disintegrated during the operation. Then one day a few years later I hit a bump too hard and heard a loud bang, the frame actually cracked at the top of the rear wheel hump on both sides. Good night Cutlass. :( Have a few bits of her lying around here too.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
1979 Buick Regal Limited V8. Had the chrome Buick ralleys, Dark brown with tan vinyl top. Crushed velour pillow back seats. It got the usual dings and dents from me being 16. Me and my Dad traded it for an 81 Regal Limited. I tried to find my first Regal about 10 years ago. It was sitting at a tow yard in Fairland Okla. Don't really remember fixing it up cause it was pretty nice. I did a lot of boom boom in the trunk. Not into that anymore

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
my first was an all original 80 malibu. two tone blue, black interior, factory buckets,floor shifter, rallye pack gauges. had 267 with a turbo350 and open 2.73 rear. grafted a 4" harwood scoop to the original hood. then repainted dark ford metallic green. 14x7 rally wheels in front with 15x8's in the rear. did the basics to the motor, larger cam, headers, holly 600 with a contender intake. sold it shortly after high school. regret it everytime i think about it.

86 CCC*

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2014
My first car was my dad's 2nd new car --- a '65 Impala two-door. It was my high school graduation present in '73. He ordered it with a 283, 3-speed on the column, standard steering, AM radio, no A/C, clear glass, manual windows and locks, and "dog-dish" hub caps. I learned how to drive and took my driver's test in that car. The State Trooper with me said he didn't think I could do a 3-point turnaround on the narrow one-lane side street. I had practiced parallel parking so much that I was able to do it just using my mirrors. Ironically, that car was the same length as my El Camino --- 17ft-9in. I traded in on a '73 Monte Carlo Landau in '75, another good car.

Nov 4, 2012
1998 Lincoln Town Car. Bought it cheap from a elderly neighbor who couldn't drive anymore. Had 65k on the clock and was light blue with dark blue top and leather interior. I put 18" mustang wheels on it, P71 suspension from a Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 03+ style intake, lowered it an inch, put dual Flowmaster 44s on it and drove around like a nutcase doing burnouts with it until I got rear ended at a dead stop by a Pontiac Sunfire going 45+ mph which bent the frame and totaled it. It looks ok in the picture but the rear frame rails were buckled out about 1 1/2". I loved that car and I still wish I had it.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor