WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST GBODY ??? POST PICS . LET US KNOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
after i started a post on why people love wagons i thought back to why i started to like gbodys in general , which made me think of my first gbody. my buddy john started the whole thing, he had a black on red 83 cutlass with a olds 350 in it. our whole group of friends had a hand in working on that car. when it was done it had a olds 455 outta a 69 442 in it. it was the first hotrod we'd ever worked on, we were all around 17 then. that olds inspired me to get my own. that car was a silver on grey 85 olds hard top with a sbc and the rally gauges. i will try to find pics. but what was YOUR first gbody? what made you love em so much? let us know YOUR story!

Volumeshooter

Greasemonkey
Aug 29, 2011
Memphis TN
Ok, so my 81 GP is my first G-body that I have owned. But my pops had a black 79 Cutlass Supreme with a 260 when I was growing up, he beat that thing to death before finally putting it to rest. A couple years ago I had a little extra cash and convinced my wife that I needed something to tinker with, and I always liked the G-bodys but wanted something a little different so I found the 81 GP with a 307/350 combo for $800 and quickly scooped it up last spring. Since then I haven't done much other than throw some SST rims I had on it, rattle can it flat black and clean it up a bit while I collect parts in hopes of doing something more with it this coming spring/summer.

Attachments

• Photo0158.jpg
    Photo0158.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,484

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
Volumeshooter said:
Ok, so my 81 GP is my first G-body that I have owned. But my pops had a black 79 Cutlass Supreme with a 260 when I was growing up, he beat that thing to death before finally putting it to rest. A couple years ago I had a little extra cash and convinced my wife that I needed something to tinker with, and I always liked the G-bodys but wanted something a little different so I found the 81 GP with a 307/350 combo for $800 and quickly scooped it up last spring. Since then I haven't done much other than throw some SST rims I had on it, rattle can it flat black and clean it up a bit while I collect parts in hopes of doing something more with it this coming spring/summer.

awesome story!!!

KEEP EM COMING!!!!!!

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
My first one was a cream colored '79 Malibu with a 267 that I bought in '92. It had that tan cloth interior that was impossible to get clean. That car was also my introduction to rotten frame rails btw! It was owned by some hillrods and the maintenance showed. I remember the front brakes being shot and one of the rear shocks were loose, which led to the jarring-out of a lower mount hole.

CD's were fairly fresh on the scene and I put a Panasonic CD deck in it that had switchable illumination.....along with some Jensen 6x9's lol! The car got broken into later, lost the deck and the insurance company wanted to total the car because the dash & glove box were pried to hell.

I eventually sold it. About a year later I got a letter telling me the car was in an impound lot 30 miles away. The guy I sold it to never transferred the title. We went to check it out and the car was repainted metallic candy green and had Mclean wire wheels on it. We were half-way done taking the wheels off the car and a state-trooper stopped us. I tried to BS my way around it but no luck since he was the one who had the car impounded for dope :lol:

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
Here is mine, the 84 beige one on the end. Bought it when I was 15 in 1992 for $1500 smashed up. Dad helped me fix it. Its in my barn for now, will rebuild it (use some of the 2+2 parts on it) when time and cash permits. Have a newborn plus looking for a larger house... You know how it is. It was last on the road in 2001 I believe.

26455456996535183488.jpg

37168943963458368179.jpg

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
crazyliver said:
Here is mine, the 84 beige one on the end. Bought it when I was 15 in 1992 for $1500 smashed up. Dad helped me fix it. Its in my barn for now, will rebuild it (use some of the 2+2 parts on it) when time and cash permits. Have a newborn plus looking for a larger house... You know how it is. It was last on the road in 2001 I believe.

thats awesome! what a nice collection of pontiacs!!!!!! well hopefully you'll have it on the road again soon.

great stories guys. KEEP EM COMING!!!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My first was my 81' Malibu wagon. In 1993 I needed a wagon badly and just could not find a Pontiac anything. As it were, that was the infamous year of the "16 snowstorms" in NYC and they piled HUGE mountains of snow everywhere. As I did my Parcel Post rounds I noticed a Malibu wagon slowly appearing as the snow melted. When it was free I looked inside and saw a stick shift on the floor and full gauges! WOW! Popped the hood and there was a 229 Chevy with no AC, and I decided to find the owner, which took 3 months. Turns out he rented a basement from the house it was in front of. He would take no less than $300 because he had just put a new radio in. Oh well, OK, says I. So I go home, get some phony plates and return on my mountain bike that night, pay him, throw the bike in the back (LOVE wagons!) and sneak it home. Next day the City Marshal was scooping up scofflaw's cars and I later realized the wagon would have been taken because I found a roll of parking tickets as big as a grapefruit under the driver's seat. I had that wagon until just last year and it had no less than a Pontiac 350, Buick 231, Pontiac 400, and Pontiac 301 under the hood. Best go-to-work-fishing car I ever had.

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
My dad bought a '79 Malibu 2 dr when brand new when I was around 4 and drove it for 15 years, that's where I got my soft spot for them. Don't have a picture of my first, a 1981 4 dr Malibu 2 tone blue. I do have a picture of my 2nd, a '79 Malibu... the '79 LeMans I have as a project now is my 3rd G body but I had friends in high school who all had them. For my first car I really wanted a 2 dr Cutlass but had to settle for the free hand me down '86 Tempo :oops:

Here's my '79
n682969072_2127217_4978.jpg

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
78 malibu 2dr landau, the damn thing was pink too! a guy down the alley from my uncle owned it, it just sat behind his garage the whole time he owned it. my buddy bought it from him for the engine and trans to go into his trans am and he was gonna scrap the rest of the car. at the time, i had my first car, a 76 monte carlo with a blown head gasket and no forward gears. :roll: so i pulled the motor and traded him the monte for the malibu. i pulled the heads off that 305, had them resurfaced and put it all back together with all new gaskets, seals and timing set. painted it all up and slid it into that malibu. my buddy gave me a spare trans that he had and the headers and exhaust that came on the malibu since it wouldnt fit his t/a. btw, i did all the work myself when i was just 16, with my dad just looking over my shoulder making sure i didnt **** anything up. :lol: the landau top had been removed and the rusty top bondo'd up and i think it was a cheapo Earl Sheib paint job, kinda a mix between pink, purple and slightly silver. never seen that color before or since then. :lol: no pics but imagine that color with red bucket seat interior and olds ralley wheels.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
My 71 Cutlass and my 1980 Cutlass Calais. I was in Phoenix in 1984 when I took this picture. I had put M50-15 tires on the back and had the rear deck lid spoiler from a trans am..then I got orders and sold the cars :cry:

Attachments

• 79 and 80.jpg
    79 and 80.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 2,367
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor