What would you have done differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
If you are just pulling the body to address floor issues I'd say jump in cautiously. If you are planning to jump in and do the full resto, I'd say stop and wait, that car looks good and is a complete driver, make it a rolling resto.

My opinion? Don't do a rotisserie resto on a car that isn't worth at least 20k when done unless the car has big sentimental value.
It's more fun to drive your not perfect but useable fun car than have a primer shell in the garage for 5 years.

I resemble these two remarks. :giggle:

I am coming up on year 5 on my frame off resto project BUT I only bought a car that had most of what I needed. I had some specific goals for it going in, the largest two were I wanted to do a frame off on a 1978 Malibu(my favorite year for the taillights) and it would LS swapped. I had plenty of work to do while collecting parts so money outlay wasn't going to high up front but would come into play later. Also the only work I would not be doing was paint/body and that is the only work that would be handled by someone else BUT I had those handled when the time came and that really started in earnest this year(too many ancillary projects found).

This is a tough route to got, especially if you haven't done one before, like others have said most end up sold/parted/junked due to lack of money/enthusiasm/life.

My .02

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Did my 87SS full off frame. I did some upgrades such as 4 wheel disks, oil coolers, ZZ4 Crate, Dual Hump Trans cross member, UMI frame stiffeners, 2.5 exhaust pipes with X pipe and flowmasters, cast aluminum pans for trans and rear end.
I bought evry factory replacement part ACDelco. Made in China, Spain, Brazil, Mexico, Thailand and some in the US. Don't worry about it, they are all made to GM Specs!
My rotisserie was saw horses running under the the rocker panels at at about 5 ft high. Worked well for blasting away them painting. So here were my way and if I had to do again.

1. Picture everything to include bolt head markings before you take them out
1.1 If you find a G Body in the junk yard, take bolts and screws out as spares
1.2 I used the newer style tension clamps and wire loom coverings from Chrysler They look like GM did it that way
2. Take lots of pictures at all angles by areas and subject
2.1 Front Left Arms and attaching hardware
2.2 Fuel line and return line clips
2.3 Brake line clips etc etc
3. Label all connectors prior to picture and disassembly
4. As you take disassemble, blast primer and paint immediately
4.1 Place small items in clear bags and use a 3x5 card inside the bag with what it is
4.1.1 6 Bolts w/nuts for lower Left Front Control Arm
4.1.2 8 clips with screws for front crossover brake line
5. I stapled the clear bag on my garage walls by areas of the car (FRNT LH,FRNT RH, RADIATOR SUPPORT, REAR SUSPENSION etc)
6. Made a list of upgrades from junkyard cars/pickups
6.1 Engine/Transmission Oil Coolers from GM Pickups with the Adapters and lines
6.2 Aux Power Steering Cooler from GM Pickups with lines
6.3 2002 Camaro "LS1" Rear Disk setup (looks original in lieu of the everybody has red calipers)
6.4 2004 S10/Blazer front Dual Calipers Disk Brakes with spindles
Note: Make sure coolers are reverse flushed several time and get from vehicles that are not damaged in the area where the part is removed.
If lines don't look good on the outside (rust) don't get them buy new
For brake upgrade you want all the hardware, clips, brackets etc. I didn't use the rotors buy new its cheaper, for calipers buy the rebuild kits AC Delco from RockAuto they have everything

Final Words

Set dates to do things. I used a days worth to do just one area at a time (Due to work travel it took me 12 years!)
1. Pictures
2. Disassembly
3. Blast/Paint
4. Tag and store
Clean work area/ Put Away tools!

You Tube has bunches of how to do the disk brake upgrades. Some make it look simpler than it is. Drilling holes never takes 1 min and one drill bit! For the caliper rebuild there are also plenty of sites. SMA (South Main Automotive) has a very good step by step process. I found his to be the best after I did mine!

You'll start full speed ahead then slow down. Don't loose hope it takes time. Friends are great motivators. I did mine all by myself, not even the wife helped except to bring snacks. As far as money, you don't have enough! Nothing is cheap, all the little stuff adds up.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum! I am planning on getting started on restoring my 86 Monte. I have purchased a rotisserie and am starting to figure out a game plan. I haven't done a resto project before so if you have any tips or tricks, or things you learned along the way I would appreciate it.

I am planning on taking the body off and redoing the floor and taking care of any other issues I find. Body work and paint eventually. I will be putting headers and dual exhaust on, ratchet shift transmission, new gauges and maybe a crate engine someday.

Here is what I am starting with. The interior is in pretty good shape. The body has some dings and some small rust starting, and the paint is faded.

Take lots of pics during disassembly so you know how it should go back together (in case this has been mentioned already).
I definitely 2nd the advice on tagging/bagging!
STAY ORGANIZED! Disorganization and messes will kill motivation and you don't want to end up with the car in pieces for a decade. https://staceydavid.com/product/projectplanningbook/
Do it in stages. If Bodywork is your #1 priority complete that first. Don't start on the Body and get 1/3 of the way through then start on an Engine Project.

Do the Motor LAST. I've seen so many projects over the last 25+ years that start with an Engine build and then sit around for ages or never get completed. Not always the case but it happens and it happens A LOT. Another reason you want to do the motor last is no amount of horsepower will make up for crap brakes/suspension and the 2004R and 7.5 won't hold up to much additional power than the 305 makes stock.

After you get a clean foundation to build on. Get your suspension up to snuff. This might be just an overhaul with stock parts, mild performance or a full on Protouring set up. At a minimum replace all the rubber bushings and body mounts along with all Shocks, Springs, Tie Rods and Ball Joints. Next do your brakes, the upgrade to Blazer brakes is well worth it along with an Astro Steering Shaft and an upgraded Saginaw Steering box that is quicker ratio. I went with some UMI & SSM control arms on my car with Bilstein Shocks and Moog Springs recommended by SSM and urethane bushings, I can tell you that my car not only rides well on the street it also handles awesome. I had a 2002 Prelude before I started on this Gbody project and with my suspension upgrades the Gbody is really close to where the Prelude was in the Canyons (of course the Honda was stock suspension).

If at this point you're not ready to do an engine build/swap, get your current engine running right THEN put on your headers/exhaust etc. This might mean a carb rebuild or swap as well as a full tune up (freshen up the HEI distributor), Set the Timing, and inspect all engine wiring and repair and/or replace any bad wires/connectors. It should go without say that all your fluids should be flushed and replaced with new.

I wouldn't waste any $ on a ratchet shifter until after you build the trans. For a cheap upgrade to your transmission you can install a shift kit from TransGO and a new super servo Transtar Part No. – A54907BS .

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor