What year did the fuse block pins get smaller? Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I remember swapping a complete 87 wiring harness with dash into 79 El Camino I had years ago. I remember the pins in the main fuse block were smaller so I ended up having to change out the engine compartment harness too. This is the two piece main fuse block that separates at firewall with a 10mm headed bolt in the middle. The reason I ask is, I have an 85 and 86 Monte SS here. The 85 has some butchered wiring so I was thinking of swapping it from the 86 parts car. What year did they swap that over?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
In my 86 GP the bolt in the center of the two harnesses at the back of the fuse box is an 8 mm. I replaced one harness with one from an 84 Cutlass so I think you're ok with an 85 and 86

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Theyre called Packard connectors and as far as I know they are mixed sizes in one bulkhead connector. Thats the way my 81 Malibu was set up. Heavier wire has a wider spade. You can order them from this place. I bought a bunch of different sizes when I was cleaning up my harness under the hood. I didnt want splices so I ran new wires from the block out. If you spend the money and buy an assortment you can buy the right crimper from a place called Tool Aid. Its a ratcheting crimper that makes them look like factory. I just got a crimper off of ebay for round $70 with a bunch of dies.
http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/_packard_terminals.asp

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor