What you need to 350 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
So ive been convinced that i might as well do the 350 swap since i already have the 305 and want some extra horsepower. i see videos where people get a 350 crate motor with 290 Hp for 1500$ but i cant seem to find it anywhere. possibly it was discontinued and replaced with the 240hp version. but anyways what all would i need just to do the swap. i am planning on buying the crate long block and swapping carb, intake, pully system trans and basically everything from the 305. this will take place over a few months this summer but i think itll be fun. PS YES i am still working on the brakes. i installed one of the wheel cylinders saturday and im going to do the other wheel cylinder and get the lines in next saturday. So TLDR what do i need for a 305 to 350 long block crate engine swap.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Also once i turn 18, my grandpa is going to sign over the title for me and im going to get it registered and pull him out of the house and give him a ride in his old car.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Also once i turn 18, my grandpa is going to sign over the title for me and im going to get it registered and pull him out of the house and give him a ride in his old car.
Almost everything is the same 350 to 305 that's the great thing about the small block Chevy dose your 305 have a 2 or 4 barrel carb? If it's a 2 you need carb linkage and brackets

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Almost everything is the same 350 to 305 that's the great thing about the small block Chevy dose your 305 have a 2 or 4 barrel carb? If it's a 2 you need carb linkage and brackets
The reason why im going 350 rather than big block is exactly this reason, it would be really cheap for easy power :D

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
So ive been convinced that i might as well do the 350 swap since i already have the 305 and want some extra horsepower. i see videos where people get a 350 crate motor with 290 Hp for 1500$ but i cant seem to find it anywhere. possibly it was discontinued and replaced with the 240hp version. but anyways what all would i need just to do the swap. i am planning on buying the crate long block and swapping carb, intake, pully system trans and basically everything from the 305. this will take place over a few months this summer but i think itll be fun. PS YES i am still working on the brakes. i installed one of the wheel cylinders saturday and im going to do the other wheel cylinder and get the lines in next saturday. So TLDR what do i need for a 305 to 350 long block crate engine swap.
Also what year? If your old motor is a 2 piece rear main seal and new one is a 1 piece you will need a new flexplate/flywheel

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
The reason why im going 350 rather than big block is exactly this reason, it would be really cheap for easy power :D
Yes and SBC is test proven. It should be a very easy weekend swap when I was young my cousin and I did them 2out and 1 in 4 hours but we did it sometimes every
Also what year? If your old motor is a 2 piece rear main seal and new one is a 1 piece you will need a new flexplate/flywheel
Dose the crate motor come with a balancer?

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
its a 78 regal and im going to use the stock auto transmission until i can figure out how to get a manual with the shift knob being on the steering wheel (i dont want to cut a whole in the floor)

• Optimistic

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
its a 78 regal and im going to use the stock auto transmission until i can figure out how to get a manual with the shift knob being on the steering wheel (i dont want to cut a whole in the floor)
78 would have a 2 peace rear main

• Agree

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
Thats a 2 piece rear main then i recently swapped my 305 to a 383 stroker also if you are planning on using stock trans make sure its not a turbo 200 if you plan on bolting aftermarket performance parts on that 350 you will want to change from the turbo 200 first as they were notorious to fail behind a beefier motor

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor