What's it worth to ya???

Status
Not open for further replies.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
My own father has a hard enough time spending 5 grand on things he actually wants. I suppose the gap between "rich" and "poor" has really grown to the point where the well-off don't even feel well-off, but then again everything looks big when you're having to look up at it. You're right enough.

When I say I'd feel guilty, maybe I just mean I'd be in extreme disbelief. (Only bought it for $2,750 and it's been heavily tampered with since.) But I'd go through with it for sure. Money is survival at the end of the day. Not sure I'd even replace the car. Would just be nice to have the monetary cushion. (You can tell I'm just using my car for what it can provide at this point.)

I mean I get what you're saying but I guess my point is something like 17 million new cars were sold in America last year and so someone is buying them. Truly these people could be called rich when you compare them to the probably at least 50% of Americans who can't afford them. There is certainly an incredible income gap. I guess my point is that while my father owns and operates a successful small business, he's not a millionaire and can't even be compared to the top 1% of the country that are. Like with anything I guess its all perspective. Probably getting off into the weeds and politics with this so I'll stop there.

I definitely agree with your feelings though. If somebody offered me that much for my hunk of junk I'm not sure how I would react initially, but like you, would certainly sell the car. I've never bought a car for more that $5k in my life and barely have that much in savings.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron L. Thomas

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2016
Detroit, MI
I hear what everyone is saying but I would have at least had to call his bluff. I understand how some cars hold sentimental value but if everyone in the family was saying sell it, then there's noting to think about. He may have been asking everyone out there to buy their cars but no one may have took him seriously or even gave him the time of day to even tell his story or offer a price. Like I said, if it wasn't for his son being silly and even entertaining the guy we would have just blew him off too. I'm sure you've all heard the saying everything has a price and that goes both ways. Some people wouldn't sell their car for under a certain price and some people would buy anything for a certain price. I'll keep you guys posted when I find out what happened.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
My POS would be ghost! But I'm not a rich man in fact I'm just a dirty body man and 20 gee's goes a long way for me in fact it would put me in bisness literally

Reactions: 1 user

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana

Aaron L. Thomas

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2016
Detroit, MI
Interpret this how you want but I did follow up to see they called the guy and they did. Turns out the guy ended up buying one from someone else. He called the guy and asked was he still interested and the guy told him I bought one already. He said he believed the guy because he didn't try to see if he could get it cheaper from them or offered up any further explanation. Once again, he could be lying but if you call his bluff in the first place then this story would probably be a whole lot more interesting.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I believe everyone has their price for any car, whether it is reasonable or not is another question, but if you drop a price be prepared to sell or negotiate.

I have the president of the company I work for that has said he will buy my Malibu as soon as it is finished. Now that I want out early I told him to stroke a blank check and I'll finish to his specs, we'll see what happens.

Reactions: 1 users

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016
as others have said id just use the money to buy another.

so id either have to make enough to make a lot of money when i replace or upgrade my car or buy two. im not bothering for a little change and most people arent going to grossly overpay.

its probably different if your car is something you just ended up with if you were offered good money for it.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Not until I am done with it. I only sell my cars when I am ready - and that usually means they are due for another expensive overhaul or have outlived their practical use.

So if you offered me 4 x the market value for my wagon I doubt I would consider it because I built it for my family. Now, if you offered 4 x the appraised value I might give it a moment of consideration before turning it down. Money isn't everything.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Not until I am done with it. I only sell my cars when I am ready - and that usually means they are due for another expensive overhaul or have outlived there practical use.

So if you offered me 4 x the market value for my wagon I doubt I would consider it because I built it for my family. Now, if you offered 4 x the appraised value I might give it a moment of consideration before turning it down. Money isn't everything.
I hear that! My brother n law was offered $70K for his pro street '68 Camaro. By no means is it worth that....appraised at $35K. But his dad was building the car for 15 years, almost had it done when it fell on him sending him up to the clouds (RIP). This Camaro is priceless as it has more sentimental value that a number could put on it!!!!
20170826_123508.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

cjk374

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 8, 2017
Louisiana
I have had a few people stop by and ask if my car was for sale. It has been in my yard under a car cover for a few years, so I understand. I have told everyone that my starting price for my car is $15K. If someone is going to be a big enough fool to actually show me $15K cash for my car, I can't be the bigger fool and turn it down.

But then again......this will probably be the only classic car I will ever own. Lots of memories, blood, sweat, tears, cash, & cussings invested in this car. I have been foolish in the past. What's one more foolish act?

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor