What's it worth? What would you pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
What's it worth? What would you pay?

For those hard to find, NOS or good used parts.
I've been hunting for some key pieces for my 1981 Malibu Taxi. When I find something, I always wonder if it's a fair deal.
I just recently purchased an NOS Grill ($269.00) and NOS Headlight Bezels ($109.00ea) Front Bumper Guards, used but rechromed (139.00) and a used but rechromed Complete Rear Bumper with bumper guards and impact strips ($499.99) That one hurt a little but it looks amazing like a NOS piece.

Seems fair to me. ???
What do you guys think?
What have you paid for NOS stuff on your rides? (Give us some examples)

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have bought many aftermarket parts for my Monte and started buying some for the Regal but have never had to get NOS since the aftermarket support in there for my cars but the Malibu has less availability and sometimes paying the price for a part whether NOS or aftermarket is the only way to go especially when it is the one thing that will be the finishing touch.
Being that everyone behind you will see a gleaming rechromed rear bumper I think the price is justifiable.

Last edited:

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
You need to look at the big picture - if it gives more enjoyment in car ownership - then good. If you hope it increases the car resale value by that amount - maybe, maybe not. You say you found good pieces and you could justify their purchase - you win.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
In my opinion NOS stuff is the best stuff. It's the real thing. So much reproduction stuff doesn't fit or is lousy quality. I don't really think those prices you paid are awful. You have to ask yourself how many of them are left, how bad do you want it and can you afford it? The bumper was expensive but look at what you got.

About a year ago I bought a NOS cruise control kit for a G body, in the box, complete with instruction sheet and with the hardware bag unopened. I think I paid $350 which hurt at the time but I haven't seen another since. Recently I bought a NOS third brake light kit for $35 shipped, in the box with instructions, hardware, harness, etc. I've also purchased three NOS bumper guard impact strips all for around $35 each. I haven't been able to find a fourth. Finally, I recently found a NOS driver's side inner fender extension for my car for around $40 shipped. They are nearly impossible to find used so I thought it was a steal.

On the other hand, there was a guy on ebay that had a pair of the "Galaxie 500 XL" quarter panel emblems for Dad's car. They are one year only and XL trim specific. The guy wanted $800. Dad wanted them but couldn't justify spending that much on them. He might have bought them for $400 but someone else bought them for $600. For $600, we'll see if we can get Dad's old emblems restored.

Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I couldn't see myself spending $500 on a bumper for my Monte Carlo. I'd rather put the money into the engine, transmission, suspension, brakes or other area that will make the car perform better and sacrifice on looks a little bit. I don't care to drive a car that looks like a run down daily driver if it's a fast daily driver. Lol. Mine isn't there yet but I'm gathering the pieces to make it that way.

But, if you can afford it and I agree it will make the car look better, go for it. You'll enjoy your car even more and that's always a good thing. Like Texas82GP said, the high quality parts fit better and are more robust. You usually have to pay for quality.

Just wondering, is the car that you bought the bumper for the one in your avatar? It's pulling the front wheels off the ground. That's badass.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I think you did alright Jamie. The NOS stuff is getting hard to find, especially the bumper guards. The quality and fit of the NOS parts is definitely better. Yeah, the bumper was a bit pricey, but think of what it would have cost you to get a used one cleaned up and replated. Like I said, I think you did alright.

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks guys for the feed back. I need you all call my wife and tell her I'm not crazy!
I did put an reproduction grill and bezels in the Taxi and I had to leave some of the screws out because it lined up so bad. The grill looked ok from 10' but if you got close you'd see the gaps. Also some of this stuff just isn't available aftermarket these days.
Try and find me a NOS nose emblem for an 80-81 part # 14013428. I'm not going to pay 800.00 but I'd probably pay more then I should!

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Just wondering, is the car that you bought the bumper for the one in your avatar? It's pulling the front wheels off the ground. That's badass.

The bumper isn't for that one...although if she pulls them any higher I might need a new one for it too.
IMG_4776.PNG

The Taxi is the one I'm buying the parts for. The car has 22,000miles on it, The guy I bought it from pulled the original grill, bumper guards and nose emblem for his other Malibu. I tried to buy them back and offered him 1000.00 but he said no.
This is the Taxi. It just doesn't look right without the bumper guards.
IMG_4477.JPG

With the aftermarket grill
IMG_4468.JPG

The bumpers are perfect on this car but I just couldn't find perfect bumper Guards for the rear so I bought the whole bumper. Plus you never know when you might need one.
B1.JPG
B9.JPG

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Now that I see the car and the mileage, I can't blame you for spending a little on it. That's a sweet Malibu. Is it a manual transmission taxi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor