Whats my (ball park) compression ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I built a standard bore 350. Its never been decked. I put in stock rods with cast flat top pistons with 4 valve reliefs. I have stock unshaved 882 heads 76cc. I used the Felpro steel head gasket shims with copper coat sprayed on for my head gaskets. I think they are .015 thick. I'm curious as to what grade of fuel I need to run.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Not a fan of the thin head gasket especially not decking the block & resurfacing the heads. Check your valve train geometry.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
The big question is the what the deck height of the pistons is. As far as the heads go, from CCing a bunch of factory iron heads, virtually all of them are larger than advertised. Assuming the pistons are just the standard rebuilder type I suspect that your real static compression ration is around 8.5:1.....even with the shim type gasket. Depending on the altitude you're at you might be able to get by with regular and worst case mid grade.

Unless it pings and hammers when you start driving it I'd start out with mid grade for the first couple of thousand miles (until everything is broken in good) then do some fine tuning and play around with a couple of tanks of different grades and see what the car likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor