Whats needed for radiator upgrade v6 to v8 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby frillou

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 4, 2017
I'm pulling my v6 out of my 84 Regal and installing a olds 307 engine. What parts do I need to upgrade the radiator?Also do I need to change out fan shroud? Thanks in advance. I'm here to learn.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Fan shroud will need to go because the v8 is longer.

You will want the v8 metal top plate to hold your radiator in. Beyond that you can choose between running the v8 fan and shroud, or, putting in an electric radiator fan.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 307 isn't a hard engine to cool, so the stock rad in decent shape will work. Yeah a G body V8 shroud and an Olds clutch fan should work. An earlier 6 or 7 blade fan and O!ds clutch hub will work, factory 5 blade on the 307. Not sure on the Buick fan hub pattern but pretty the sbc pattern is different than the Olds V8. The reverse rotation Olds V6 diesel water pump is the same as the sbc pattern. I have Dodge Stratus electric fans that fit the rad, cool well and are easy to install with the Cutlass top plate.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I did a v6 to v8 sbc 307 swap a couple of years ago. I took a saw to the last section of the old shroud and called it good. It is still a bit long, hard to reach in to install the stock fan, but it fits and didn't cost me extra while doing my swap.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When I put a Pontiac 400 in my old '81 Malibu wagon I left the V-6 radiator in while I worked out the bugs. Turns out it cooled the 400 just fine. But it was a junkyard 3 row brass V-6 radiator that cooled as well as any V-8 radiator. I only got rid of it after it leaked badly years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor