whats the best aluiminum cleaner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
so today athe junkyard i found a set of monte ss wheels for 100 bucks. great deal . they are in great shape but cant seem to get them any cleaner than a dull spoty finish.i have power washed and degreased them and used eagle one on them and mothers cleaner but nothing is touching stains.whats the best t o use they dont appear to be clear coated they look just like an old dirty edelbrock intake if you know what i mean. i will try to get some pics up shorthly.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
tried that it cleaned up the smooth acents but nothing is working in the rough casting.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
I had the same prob with mine I ended up just sandblasting them and going to paint them .

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
i am considering painting them but afraid they will look cheesy. my experiance with the wheel paints are they look like fake chrome i want t.he natural aluimiunum look and havent found one yet that .

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Gimme a sec, man. I'm gonna go read the label on what I use on my aluminum wheels. It's a type of acid wash and it works great!

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Alright well unfortunately most of the label has faded/wiped off, but it seems to be made by a company called "hi temp." It's pink and has a yellow label. You'll also need a spray bottle and a toothbrush. You just dilute it to about 2 parts water, 1 part acid (I think) scrub it in, let it sit, scrub one more time for good measure, then rinse. I usually do this with the wheel off the car so the acid solution can just sit on it evenly instead of run down it. I may even have some before/after pics on here.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Well I don't have the comparison photos I took but I do have these:
Here's what they looked like when I bought the car:
PHOT0170.jpg

87.jpg

And here's a shot of them after they were cleaned up. Please excuse the quality. It was scanned from an actual photo.
d.bmp

Here's the company that makes it:
http://www.hitempinc.com/id47.html

RocketGremlin455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2012
Galloway NJ
Which Eagle 1 did you use? The aluminum wheel one? I used the Eagle 1 Mag cleaner. It has a torque thrust wheel on the bottle, which is the one I used on my torque thrusts. Still need a stiff wheel brush for the bad spots though. Now the bottle says not for certain types of polished aluminum wheels so be careful.I also used it on an older Edelbrock aluminum intake.

Attachments

• A0BM_1_20110812_6509513.jpg
    A0BM_1_20110812_6509513.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 665

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
gwhiz said:
i am considering painting them but afraid they will look cheesy. my experiance with the wheel paints are they look like fake chrome i want t.he natural aluimiunum look and havent found one yet that .

Why not sandblast them and spray clear coat instead of paint? I've seen it done and it looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor