Whats the best brake upgrade when using stock spindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zone_4_Lanlord

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2010
Philadelphia, Mississippi
I have already bought brand new spindles, so i do not want to have to buy them again to do blazer upgrade.
With that being said, which direction should i go when upgrading front brakes using the stock spindle. Minimum rim size will not be a problem, i have big wheels.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Stock, unmodified stock spindle?

Larger brakes than 10.5" require the stock spindle to be modified (cut off the caliper brackets, drill/tap the Dust shield holes for larger bracket bolts)

Wilwood sells a lightweight dual piston D154 Caliper that would be a good upgrade over the stock Cast iron caliper.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Easiest to install on stock spindles would be oversized piston calipers. While aluminum calipers do weigh less they also flex more than cast iron calipers, its a trade off.

Reactions: 2 users

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017

Best? Wilwood 140-12299-D FNSL6R​

Best bang for the buck.

AFCO 7241-9001​

AFCO 7241-9002​

Reactions: 1 user

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
The Wilwood dual piston aluminum caliper has a smaller piston area, so the clamping forces are less. There is not much of a weight difference between this and a Wilwood oversized 2.75" piston caliper.

The Wilwood oversized 2.75" piston caliper has a larger piston area, so it should give you better clamping forces.

IMO, the biggest downfall is the rotor diameter, so if you are going to spend money, spend it on a total aftermarket system that uses a stock spindle.

If you are going to keep the stock front rotors, go with good aftermarket pads first and just replacement calipers. Upgrade to stainless steel braided flex lines front and rear. If you are keeping the vacuum boosted system, upgrade with the b-body 12" dual diaphragm vacuum booster and a right hand drive 2000 S10 1.0" bore master cylinder (must be a right hand drive S10)

Good pads, new rubber lines or stainless steel braided flex lines, and a fluid flush will make a big difference. Going to the B-body booster and S10 master cylinder will make it better.

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have already bought brand new spindles, so i do not want to have to buy them again to do blazer upgrade.
With that being said, which direction should i go when upgrading front brakes using the stock spindle. Minimum rim size will not be a problem, i have big wheels.
You've kinda cornered yourself with options because of the stock spindles.

Wilwood doesn't make much of anything that is junk, so I'd assume their oversized D154 or dual piston D154 calipers would be your best bet, but they aren't what I consider cheap at $400 or so. Considering that you can do a Blazer upgrade for the same money, rub another $2-300 together and have C5/C6 stuff.

• Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Best? Wilwood 140-12299-D FNSL6R​

Best bang for the buck.

AFCO 7241-9001​

AFCO 7241-9002​

Mac, how much better are these than stock? This the 1st time I've seen either of these. As you mentioned, the Afco's with a good set of pads look like a $250-300 option and the Wilwood's are an additional $150. Both are cheaper than Blazer spindles if the hubs, pads, calipers and rotors are needed if the spindles are free.

Last edited:

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
The Afco calipers will give you about 30% more clamping force over stock. Use an aggressive pad and house rotor and just replace rotors as needed, "free if bought local using 2 years rotors". The limitation is obviously the the leverage of a small rotor. The Wilwood 14"setup is about $1800. Can do a 14" Corvette setup much cheaper. I'm off till Monday so call if you need to talk more in detail.

Reactions: 2 users

Zone_4_Lanlord

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2010
Philadelphia, Mississippi
I was hoping i could piece together something similar to the blazer upgrade and use corvette rotors and calipers and still use the stock spindle. i would love to have the big rotors.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I was hoping i could piece together something similar to the blazer upgrade and use corvette rotors and calipers and still use the stock spindle. i would love to have the big rotors.
You can buy a kit for the stock spindle, but no piecing together. And the kits are not cheap unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor