Whats the best place for front speakers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I am overhauling the system in my car as it's too much Bass. I am by no means a stereo expert but I am looking for a cleaner ( and not so loud ) sounding system. Mostly I am looking for the best way to bring some sound up front.

Lets start from the beginning. PO said he spent about $9k having someone install this abortion. From inside the car everything is hidden ( which I really like ). 4x10" Lanzar + 4x 8" Kicker Speakers all mounted to the rear seatback ( see the hack job pics enclosed ). In the front there are 3.5's Infinity ( old ) in the dash and some tweets in the A/C vents. The rear seatback was cut out and replaced with MDF. Then sprayfoam was put in all around to seal off the whole trunk making it one sealed box. This thing would thump enough to make your ears bleed and rattle the licence plate ( not really my style )
IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

08-06-09_2007.jpg

So late last fall I ditched all the MDF. I cut out a complete seatback from a Grand Prix Thank You to 81GrandPrix383 ( as a bonus they came with the add'l crossbracing ). I reinstalled the donor seatback using panelbond and bolts to reinstall overtop what was left of the original hacked up seatback.

I then traded off the 4x8" Kickers and parked 2 of the 10's and spent the money on some new 6x9's.

So here's the current setup

3.5" Infinity speakers in the dash ( old but still working )
3/4" Unknown Tweeter Speakers in the A/C vents
On their own Amplifier

6x9 Infinity 693.9i on the " new" parcel shelf
On it's own Amplifier
pic1.jpg

2x10" Lanzar in a sealed box in the trunk

The system now sounds much cleaner but I am still missing something up front until I really crank the stereo up.

So I have been looking at adding either the Lower Door panel speakers AKA ConcertII ( they seem very expensive ), and the Qlogic kickpanel speaker enclosures .

Otherwise I have been thinking of just cutting the orig kick panel speakers and installing some 5" or 5.5" speakers pointing straight at eachother just to get a "fuller" sound up front.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
As far as sound, the kick panels are the best placement for the fronts.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Best place for front speakers...Hmmm, lemme think about that....ok I got it, in the FRONT :rofl: Sorry, had to be a smartass 8) X2 on the kickpanels!!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I would do kick panels as well. Im sorry but how in the world does someone spend $9k in a sound system?!

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
I got two 4x10 audiobahns in the back and 3.5mtx 3 ways in the front. Gonna put two jl 10s in the trunk in a custom box with a 1000 watt American pro amp. Also gonna put some 6 inch speakers under the quarter windows. some tweaters up on the b pillars also . This system should sound awesome once I'm done.

A old friend of mines put some speakers in his kick panels and center consol too.

biggest15104pa

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2012
:wtf: i'm not trying to be a azz but 9k for that setup was just a sale pitch i can't see no more then 1k for back yard job if he did get it done at a shop they rip him off i will see if bro still has his picture of his setup for 4k which was 4x10 oz audio 3x2000 amps 6x6-1/2 speakers 3 set of tweeter i no i'm missing some stuff but this setup would hit 150+ db and still had bass to go

Jim H.

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
I've got the QLogic front kick panels and love them the only bad part is you have to bend your emergency brake pedal out of the way if you plan to ever use it if not leave it alone. I have them installed in my 84 Hurst Olds and love it you can actually here the radio considering I installed headers and flowmaster mufflers a little pricey but worth it I installed a small amp to power the speakers.

shortydoowop138

Greasemonkey
Feb 15, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
If he paid 9K for that then I have some oceanfront property in Az to sell'im.. I have a similar set~up in my 81 Regal but it's on 2 12's.. I didn't cut any on my rear seat support to make my Bonneville seats fit.. Just took the bracing from the stock seat & drilled it to the back of the new seat..

As for ur front stage, I'd either go wit either kick panels, under dash horns (can be expensive) or 5.25/6.5's in the upper doors..

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
(k might be right for price depending on when it was installed. Prices have dropped a lot on car audio over the last 10-15 years.

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
Set up my 79 elco with the kick panels, two way boxes and all. We get clean loud sound up front. Tucked the rite side box up under the glove box. And, the left side box behind the stereo, rite by the gas pedal. Duh, the destuctions say to BEND the E Brake pedal away from the speaker for clearance. A real piece of engineering there! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor