Whats the best way to remove window tint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
so, my cutlass has the rear quarter windows tinted on it and thats it. i want to know how can i remove it nicely? it looks as if it is glued on, the previous owner removed the tint from the rear window because it was bubbling and there is a bit of goo left over from it, i dont want that. so, how should i go about this?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
pontiacgp said:
grab a corner of it and pull it off...then use goo be gone to remove any adhesive

Yep. The film is removed pretty easily. The glue just takes a bit more work but an ahesive remover should work.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
thanks! i was thinking something along that line, i didnt know if there was a special trick to it or something and i didnt want to screw something up and make my windows look like crap, i will get me some goo gone and give it a try! ill try the goo gone on whats left on the rear window too.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
The only tricky part with window tint is removing it from the rear window if it has the defroster lines. Just be careful cleaning it so you don't screw them up.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I removed the old tint from my 79 GP with a razor blade. It was so old it was purple! I then cleaned the windows with WD-40 to remove the adhesive and then with some Windex to clean the smears. BUT my 79 didn't have a rear defroster though which made it so much easier. 8) I have heard of "sweating" it off but have never seen it done before!

redboy504

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2010
New Orleans, LA
It's actually pretty easy. Do what the pro's do. Peel it off like everybody else says. But to get the glue off use a solution of dish soap and water. Then scrape it off with a razor blade. It comes off pretty easy. But your arms and hands get tired. Then clean the glass off with glass cleaner. I've done it a lot. It works.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
there is some stuff you can get at most parts stores, that is specifically made for this

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Take it to a tint shop to get it re tinted. Then they have to worry about it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor