whats the deal with the diesel cutlass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
The block is worth money, you can do sick things with an Olds 350 D block with 0.842 lifter bores and they're very desireable.
As for the diesel motor, not ment to go fast... show me a non-turbo diesel that's fast.
It was meant for fuel economy and pricing back then, not the case anymore price wise but you can get good milage out of a diesel and have plenty of power.
Overall it's a good motor for what it's meant for...

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
oldiejams said:
i was thinking that was pricey especially for having a knock.
I assume that's sarcasm. I can't type it either :lol: . Pretty sure that's not the actual price.
They were okay for their intended purpose. part of the reason for the bad reputation is that they were pretty expensive to replace if they did get blown up. That's probably why many got gas engines. Not many reasonable people would remove a perfectly good diesel just to put in a gas engine. Many years ago, when I was working for my uncle's shop, we had a customer with one and she loved it. It was smelly and gutless but got decent MPG. Aside from a head gasket replacement at around 100K miles it was absolutely reliable and trouble free. I'm sure if the lady was still alive it'd still be on the road...it might be for all I know.
A 6.2 or 6.5 will go in the same hole and has more power and support. Just to be different, I always thought it might be fun to add a turbo to one and convert to veggie oil. MMM...french fries :drool: .

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
I was looking at the same one!

The 350 D can get up to 40 mpg if tuned properly. Imagine if you put it behind an overdrive transmission! My brand new Jetta TDI gets 42 mpg freeway. Hard to believe that in 30 years we are still at the same milage, but then again it has a lot more horsepower and a turbo etc.

I really want to see someone buy a diesel and keep it a diesel. Replace those head gaskets and bolts and it should run another 100,000 or more.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Best part of a diesel VIN....emissions exempt!

oldiejams

Master Mechanic
Jan 21, 2011
Tucson
DRIVEN said:
oldiejams said:
i was thinking that was pricey especially for having a knock.
I assume that's sarcasm. I can't type it either :lol: . Pretty sure that's not the actual price.
They were okay for their intended purpose. part of the reason for the bad reputation is that they were pretty expensive to replace if they did get blown up. That's probably why many got gas engines. Not many reasonable people would remove a perfectly good diesel just to put in a gas engine. Many years ago, when I was working for my uncle's shop, we had a customer with one and she loved it. It was smelly and gutless but got decent MPG. Aside from a head gasket replacement at around 100K miles it was absolutely reliable and trouble free. I'm sure if the lady was still alive it'd still be on the road...it might be for all I know.
A 6.2 or 6.5 will go in the same hole and has more power and support. Just to be different, I always thought it might be fun to add a turbo to one and convert to veggie oil. MMM...french fries :drool: .

yes. veggie oil is what makes me very interested in diesel engines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arc_sNH62zE

I would like to have a diesel cutlass.

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
anthonychacon80 said:

The 350 D can get up to 40 mpg if tuned properly. Imagine if you put it behind an overdrive transmission! My brand new Jetta TDI gets 42 mpg freeway. Hard to believe that in 30 years we are still at the same milage, but then again it has a lot more horsepower and a turbo etc.

I really want to see someone buy a diesel and keep it a diesel. Replace those head gaskets and bolts and it should run another 100,000 or more.

I will believe it, when I see it. I read the samething 442.com. I have an 81 Oldsmobile Diesel. I avg low 20 mpg. I have a th-200 and 2.14 rear gear. I think high 20s are possibly with an OD. But its a dog. Kewl when someone actually recognizes it is a diesel other then that. I will be putting my 455 in it before the year ends.

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
Oldstech said:
anthonychacon80 said:

I will believe it, when I see it. I read the samething 442.com. I have an 81 Oldsmobile Diesel. I avg low 20 mpg. I have a th-200 and 2.14 rear gear. I think high 20s are possibly with an OD. But its a dog. Kewl when someone actually recognizes it is a diesel other then that. I will be putting my 455 in it before the year ends.

Im guessing that there is something wrong. But if you think about it... in 1980 the national speed limit was 55mph. I am guessing you don't do 55mph and maybe average 65-70? That extra RPM will bring it down. I know the 260 D engine did not get as high milage as the 350. And according to Wikipedia they changed the designs a little in 81 and added internal EGR which took away about 5 horsepower.

Plus a diesel (or any Olds engine) will run forever in poor condition with who knows how many problems. Properly tuned and with the crud cleared out of the injectors (or whatever they used?) new lines, new filter, tighten the rockers, maybe replace the cam/lifters (see some OEM on ebay) and replace the head bolts with the ARP and gasket with the new Felpro and that engine should keep on running. Assuming they head gasket leak was not bad and tore up the inards and the bearings are shot. How hard is adding an aftermarket fuel seperater? And how does the low sulfer diesel they sell today compare to the diesel sold in 1980? Would the car smell as much? My Jetta TDI does not smell like a diesel at all. In fact the air coming out of the tailpipe is sometimes cleaner than the surrounding air and there is NO soot at all in the tailpiple. It really is a "clean diesel!"

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
oldiejams said:
i seen a few times her eon gbf that diesel cutlass are no good, and most of the time they get swapped for gas small blocks. is that because they aren't fast like gas, or are they just crappy engines?

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2850604319.html
^
i was thinking that was pricey especially for having a knock, just kind of interesting.

Beware... this same car is listed on Ebay but instead of a "bad valve" he says "bad rocker". I know the two are connected, but one is a LOT harder to fix then that other. One you gotta take off the whole head, the other you just need to remove the valve cover and replace/tighten. UHG! Potentially a huge investment depending on which it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor