whats the largest tire that will fit in the wheel well

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdpearson13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
iraq
I got a set of amer. racing wheels on the camino i just got they are 16x8 iwas wondering if I could fit 15x 12 on the the rear if that doesnt work will 15x10s work. anotherquestion whats size tires would be best for road racing? I got an Idea. The el camino i did trade for wasnt as great as i thought it was would post pics but cant figure it out if somebody else can i can email them pics the frame is clean the paint is clean same with the engine compartment. the wheels are american racing axess truck wheels its slamed on air suspension but the suspension got a leak part is 6 dollar. brakes have small leak and so does p. sterring. the doors are all screwed up. drivers dont open and pass is messed up also needs new seat cover but i want to go black vynil. apprecaite the help. I want to put cragar ss on if anyone would like to trade let me know thank you NIck

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
8" wide will fit all the way around. 10s will fit with fender lip rolling in the rear. Anything wider will either stick out or require notching the frame.

Does the door not open from inside or outside?

hdpearson13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
iraq
thank you hwo do you roll them to get 10s on thankyou

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Pay someone to do it so it doesn't hurt the paint or use a baseball bat and kind of pry outward on the fender edge as u roll the car back and forth. You use the tire as the pivot point. Ever watch NASCAR? Seen when they flatten one side of the car and they need to pull the fender back out so it doesn't cut the tire down? They put a large pry bar against the tire and pry outward on the sheetmetal as the car rolls in the pit stall. Same concept.

hdpearson13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
iraq
thanks do you think i can get a 15x12 or just go 15x10

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
I don't think 12 will fit. Not without widening the fenders or notching the frame.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
hdpearson13 said:
thanks do you think i can get a 15x12 or just go 15x10
Your pushing it with 10's 12's wont fit. I'm running 275/50R15's in the back with a rolled fender; no problems here. Just not get any wider, as it is my tires barely clear the frame on the inside. Besides you don't need anything bigger than that for traction. I've seen guys run single digit ET's on 8" wide slicks.

hdpearson13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
iraq
thanks again everyone have you ever seen 14x10 on the rear with a 15x5 on the front with cragars. do you think that will fit and how will that look. The suspension is dropped about 4 or 5 inchs frot and rear but I would like to get to raise the rear back up about 3 inches and give it a mean stance I probally aint going to get seriously in dragging( but who knows) it but I have this weird imagination i got a harley thats definetly one of a kind but isnt tooo radical I wish i could post picks but I saw a piture of a old model car el camino and it inspired me ill try to find a pic or a link heres one http://cgi.ebay.com/MONOGRAM-1979-EL-CA ... dZViewItem what you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor