What's the purpose of this vacuum hose routing under this metal plate above water pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Okay I am updating vacuum hoses and the like and this vacuum hose runs from the EGR valve to the front of the intake, then down UNDER THIS METAL PLATE
and comes out under the metal plate to be joined at a fitting and then the fitting is connected to the carb.

I have tried to just pull the hose through the hole under the plate. Won't come out either way. Is there someting it is connected to UNDER that plate?

I can't see why the vacuum hose cannot be run from the egr forard a bit and hook up at the fitting with the other hose and voila.

This IS ON AN OLDS 350 mind you 1979.................this is th ebest photo i have to the hose routing, just look at th ein and out of the hose UNDER
the half shiney, half rusted plate. That is the hose I am referring to.

And help, geartly appreciated. Just please don't guess and then have me follow your post and end up with an issue I do NOT have.
hoseunder.jpg

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
That's probably the hot air tube for the choke. If you unbolt the plate, you should see it looped. Like this?
View attachment 114304
No I know it's not that. That hot air tube is on the passenger side of the carb and bolts to the intake manifold.

This vacuum tube runs from the EGR valve on the intake.....the driver's side of the intake beside the carb.

What is UNDER that metal plate that is at the top of the water pump..........is what I'd like to know. And WHY
the vacuum tube from the EGR valve has to run all the way forward AND UNDER that plate and then back out to
be connected to another vacuum line that goes to the carb.

It's like it's a 4 foot vacuum hose to go a 18 inch distance..........just doesn't make sense and yet it seems
that HOLE that is UNDER that metal plate is made just for a vacuum line to run through. By what is under that
metal plate that will not allow me to pull the current vacuum hose OUT of either side?

Thanks for your offering but that is not what it is.

Last edited:

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Wow I can't remember the last time I seen one of those, most of the time there missing. I cant remember the proper name for it but its a valve and operates by engine heat and regulates vacuum to the egr. You're lucky to still have one.

Reactions: 1 user

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
My 70 olds 350 doesnt have that metal plate. Neither did my 81 307. Not sure what that could be sorry but im curious now also

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Wow I can't remember the last time I seen one of those, most of the time there missing. I cant remember the proper name for it but its a valve and operates by engine heat and regulates vacuum to the egr. You're lucky to still have one.

Well this makes the most sense of anything I have been told.............so warming for the EGR...........now I can stop :unsure::blam::rant::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
My 70 olds 350 doesnt have that metal plate. Neither did my 81 307. Not sure what that could be sorry but im curious now also

Well the emissions crazy politicians put a lot more hoses and valves and other power robbing garbage on this age of cars.

I brought a 1970 Chevelle SS454 to Arizona when I moved here in 1989 and I had to take it through AZ emissions.
The employee at the station opened the hood and stood there for quite a long time.....and I asked what the problem was
and he said he could not find the emissions equipment on this car and I was told it failed AZ emissions. I laughed since
the attendant still had freckles and a bad case of skin acne and began telling me the things I needed to put BACK on this
engine in order for it to pass.

Oh you poor dear sweet child from Venus............I suggest you go call your boss..............

The SS did fail due to too large of a cam and so I had to take a beautiful engine build and make it run like a turd, just to make AZ DMV
happy. AZ Emissions would only allow 1966 and before exempt from emissions. I wonder how they ever chose THAT year as their benchmark

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018

This is your second score..........you got me the correct shifter cable for my Hurst Dual Gate and now this............I am humbled in your presence,:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor