What's this relay for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel guy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2019
Arkansas
I was chasing a water leak in my '85 mcss and on the passenger side kick panel behind where the ecm mounts is a relay , anyone know what this is for ? And also I'm a new member and getting back to the g-body world after a long break !

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Power door locks.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Power door locks behind kick panel. Has a long mounting bracket on it. If you have a power antenna, that relay is RH side of the glovebox, up above where the PDL relay is. PITA to get to. But you may see that while you're piddling around under there and wonder what that relay is for.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Fun fact: the relay housing needs to be grounded (through the mount screw from the factory) to work. If you leave it loose, your locks won't work.

Learned this the hard way when adding PDL to my MCSS.

Word of advice is while youre in there, sand down to the metal where the relay attaches to the body. This will be a far better ground than using just the mounting screw. Should help in the long run with any electrical issues with the PDL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor