Whats wrong here (WTF Pypes?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Look at the pics I've up loaded & guess whats not right. I've took pics of the Pypes kit X pipe back using both right tail pipes from the 1st & 2nd kit from Summit. I've sent these to Pypes for them to figure out whats wrong. Now I'm wondering if it was a bad idea doing a freight claim against UPS via Summit, but I did get a second pipe to show Pypes screwed up on the bend program for the pipe. By the way its 9" higher than the left side flat in the porch.
I did send an email with pics of them on the frame to them last night. The reply was this:
Thanks for the pictures. Although it is convenient, it is not a good idea to try to install an exhaust system while the body with it's sheet metal & interior are not installed on the frame. Many things change and move when the weight of these components are on the frame. You can certainly hang everything, but do not try to get things to fit properly until these components are installed.
So what does the interior have to do with how pipes hang? :blam:

Attachments

• DSCN3470.JPG
    DSCN3470.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 462
  • DSCN3477.JPG
    DSCN3477.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 477
  • DSCN3466.JPG
    DSCN3466.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 467
  • DSCN3474.JPG
    DSCN3474.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 464

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
That's weird. Definitely not right.

Very ironic however because earlier today I began the install of the complete 2.5 stainless X pipe kit from Pypes on a 67 Barracuda and ran into an issue where the back legs of the X pipe weren't bent right. Instead of running parallel out of the X they slowly angle toward themselves not allowing the mufflers and tails to line up correctly.

After getting on Summit and reading reviews-like I should have when I ordered it-I read now that it's a common issue with this kit. Maybe what you have is a common issue with the G-body bunch? Either way that's a pretty big difference.

Sorry I'm no help, just ranting from the same place you come from. I thought Pypes was a good brand...

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
This is a vent thread. I have a funny feeling they'll give me the run around on this.
I hear ya. Since you ordered it through Summit-I assume-I would see if you could return the whole kit. That's if Pypes wants to be dicks about it. Summit is usually pretty good about that stuff and since you have proof they shouldn't fight you.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Well there could be an issue since I ordered the first set black Friday (via UPS's great service-they destroyed the box), placed a damaged frieght claim on it this week cause of the bent pipe not fitting (looks like UPS bought a set themselves.) Now finding out that both sets have the same issue with the right tail pipe I'm not sure how Summit would handle it. I have 10 buisness days (well 8 now) for UPS to claim one of the sets per what Summit told me. Might just have a local shop bend the pipe to mirror the left side.

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
well this sucks just two days ago I ordered the same kit for my 81 regal. but some guy have had good luck with the same kit some had bad luck with it. I was kicking around OEM tail pipes from local parts store but the inlet was 2'' with 2 1/2 outlet but I wanted the full 2 1/2 well now will see what kind of luck I'll get. If not right first time I don't think I'll deal with summit if I can get a local exhaust shop to bend it a little more to make it fit& look right

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Wow. My 3" Pypes kit looked nothing like this--it went together perfectly.

I hope this gets resolved one way or another.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
They emailed me back again. They said they were checking the warehouse for some pipes to compair to thier approved sample. They matched some from a few pre packed sets & would like me to send my tail pipes for them to match. If mine do not they are saying they would send me ones that match. Now the fun to pack & ship all the tail pipes to them.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Well, I hope they at least cover the shipping and make good for their screw-up...or are you sending it all back to Summit?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'll be sending them to Pypes. I'm going to see who pays for the ride. They want proof of purchase for atleast one set to send with them. I also gotta find out if I'm just sending one left side or both. Going to be fun finding a box for three or four tail pipes. I hope the approved sample isn't as aout of whack as the two I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor