Whats wrong here (WTF Pypes?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A little update with failure at the end. I found a shop in Johnstown that was able to make the correct angled bend to replace the bad one on the pipe, just cost $20. (y) So I gave it one last round of abuse to see if I could bend it before cutting it off. No luck, cut off the bend so there is enough adjustment when I rehang everything, now I can get the mufflers level. Then I added the X-pipe...:poop: Seems like when I get everything aligned, hang height adjusted, the mufflers get pushed into the lower control arms. (n) Even trying to even set it up with suspension at full expansion I'd have to have them hang too close to the ground as the driveshaft is too close to the X pipe. Thank god (or what ever stellar super being that runs this world) that I got my money back. Looks like I might have an X pipe & mufflers for sale soon. Maybe the Jegs set might be a set to look at since they seem to put them on sale alot.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
When I put the pypes system on, I had the same issue. I ended up turning the mufflers around to get them off the rear control arms, then had to angle the mufflers to keep them off the driveshaft. Definitely not a bolt on system.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Is there a problem with trimming the x-pipe section to move everything forward? I'm pretty sure they leave them long to account for drivetrain differences.
I'd have to cut & extend just before the X but running the cats will make things tight around the crossmember. I know I have to keep in account the fact I don't have a body on the frame, then again the suspesion hangs at some shops that don't have a roll on lift to do exhaust work. I do want to keep everything tucked in as tight a physically possible to keep from any section from having a chance to drag on any hazard, just have to see if I hang the mufflers a hair lower to clear the rear arm mounts. So I'll look at it again this afternoon, then again a Jegs stainless kit (off their Ebay store today only) at my door by Friday for $275 looks like a better deal & no X pipe to deal with (unless the Pypes one works better with Jegs tail pipes.) I know the Holley 2.5" kit would be better but budgeting says different.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I guess I've just never had a "true bolt on" performance item. I go in expecting things to just not fit right, and usually end up massaging something to get it right.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
They should of included this stuff with my "bolt on" exhaust
images
upload_2018-7-11_13-1-19.png
upload_2018-7-11_13-2-15.jpeg
upload_2018-7-11_13-3-59.jpeg

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Just said f%@$ it & ordered the Jegs kit for $275.39 off Ebay. I'll see about playing guinea pig with thier set. Between time, gas, shipping materials, aggravation, assembly, reassembly, I really hope this would be a better deal.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here's what I got from Jegs. I put the one side together to see how it would look. The tails look abit odd & uses a add on tail pipe. The muflers are heavy. No instructions so I'm guessing I have the correct lead pipe in the mock up.

Attachments

• DSCN3540.JPG
    DSCN3540.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 237
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor