What's wrong with this picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
yduheqaj.jpg

Last year in the fall, I had this weird hesitation on idle after I braked to a stop. Happened only twice and cleared up. Thought it was fuel spilling into the carb under hard braking. Banged a hard u-turn Friday and the issue returned. At idle, horrible miss then sometimes stalled. After a restart, all was normal. Driving along a country road and a Subaru with a huge pumpkin for an exhaust, pulled on my tail then blasted past me, not to be undone, I gave it back to him, 10 fold..........
Pulled to a light and again, horrible miss. Sputter and stall. This time, a restart did not correct the issue. Higher rpms had great performance. Take it back home and let it cool off. Thought about it all day yesterday and today I pulled the dizzy cap. See what I saw? Less than 2k miles
on this gm performance distributor (came with the zz502). Everything else is mint! I'm still seething over what I found. Buying an msd unit tomorrow, but will look at the guts first. Not going to get me again.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
Ahh yes more China made GMPP junk, an MSD curve kit would have fixed the dist. you have but a whole new unit is probably better. You can see in the pic the weights are not completely returning to rest so it leads you to believe they fly to full advance at start up that is why it runs fine at the top but it's trying to run to much advance to idle. Good luck with the new unit

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Rusty springs and weights. Hmm...what would cause this? Or did someone put some used parts on an otherwise new dizzy?

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
455'ed80Regal said:
Rusty springs and weights. Hmm...what would cause this? Or did someone put some used parts on an otherwise new dizzy?

Just cheap non plated junk steel, punched out in some witchit factory in some basement in China. Notice that tell tale plain module that is sure to fail on some hot day as far away from home as the car ever gets. Buy a GMPP mini starter if you want to see real garbage

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I guess another good thing about keeping the CCC system is no advance weights to worry about rusting up. That really sucks that distributor froze up on you like that, no way it should do that.

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
Fox80 said:
455'ed80Regal said:

Just cheap non plated junk steel, punched out in some witchit factory in some basement in China. Notice that tell tale plain module that is sure to fail on some hot day as far away from home as the car ever gets. Buy a GMPP mini starter if you want to see real garbage
LOL, very true. Thanks for the laugh....

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
That's just not right man,,,....I got a new distributor with new weights and springs but I changed both and used a combo of new springs, (lighter to open quicker) and my old original weights, they are made better and worked better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor