wheel and tire question (i know its been discussed before)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cut123

Greasemonkey
Nov 20, 2011
terre haute indiana
First off hi im new to the sight thanks for taking time to help. I am finishing my 81 cutlass build i am leaving the stock springs in. The car has the 442 ground fx on it so probably not going to lower. The rear has an 8.5 rear that is about one inch wider than stock on both sides. Front is all stock. I am going with crager soft 8s in 17 inch. I do not want any rubbing at all. I need to know how wide , how much backspacing, offset i can fit. I want as much rubber as possible height and width wise. looking for a more pro touring look. Pics of your ride would be appreciated also.

jdracer13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2011
Atlanta and Pittsburgh
Re: wheel and tire question (i know its been discussed befor

I have 4.75" on the rear and front on my cutlass with the stock rear. The front rubs some on the sway bar I would suggest max for you either 5.25 or 5.5 on the rear and and 4.25 on the front. Tire size I'm not sure. I ran 225/60 on the front and 265/60 on the rear of my malibu I can not find any pics, (Pic is with 225's all around kinda lame). I think that you would be able to run a wider rear tire with having a smaller sidewall.

cut123

Greasemonkey
Nov 20, 2011
terre haute indiana

thanks, ive read alot of posts but seems like either they have rim info and no tires or tire info and no backspacing info.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Simplest thing to do is measure your car to find out exactly how much space you have and then do the math. The rear of the car is the easiest to do.
Front is a bit harder considering you have to take into account your steering.

cut123

Greasemonkey
Nov 20, 2011
terre haute indiana

has anyone used the wheel and tire fitting tool from summit racing , would it be worth the 70 bucks

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

cut123 said:
has anyone used the wheel and tire fitting tool from summit racing , would it be worth the 70 bucks
I have one and its a piece of junk.

All you need is a tape measure, tape, string and a few washers to make a plumb bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor