Wheel cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Larkin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2018
I have read the posts regarding putting in the larger s-10 manual brake wheel cyls for their bigger bore. Too cheap to go disk for the amount the car is driven. This can be confusing so I apologize up front. Ok, car is a 78" Monte. In the process of installing a 8.5 rear from a 86 olds 442. I ordered and received new brake lines. Lines arrived, look correct, and have a blue color on the fittings for the wheel cyls. Ok, did a bit of homework on the cyls. to be sure when I go to the s-10 (P/N w37644) the thread pattern will be correct. It looks like maybe some years got the 3/8-24 threaded cyls, and maybe some years got the M10 x 1.25. I maybe wrong here, but I thought the colored fittings generally means Metric? I went on rock auto and looked up the cyls. for a 86' olds 442, and depending on which brand I look up, some say thread is 3/8-24, some say M10 x 1.25? can anyone definitively tell me the correct line and cyl. thread pattern please!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
brake lines were never metric on a G body. The colored fittings are metric. You might want to order this upgrade as well

Raybestos GMB25851 Rear Wheel Cylinder Bracket

s-l500.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Aren't there special retainers that go with the wheel cylinders? I'm going to have mine apart soon, and am interested in doing this conversion on my 7.5. Is there a "how to" thread on here?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Aren't there special retainers that go with the wheel cylinders? I'm going to have mine apart soon, and am interested in doing this conversion on my 7.5. Is there a "how to" thread on here?
Are you referring to the wheel cylinder brackets? timo22

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I've done a couple of these. Just be careful. There is little room for error when drilling through the backing plates and axle mounting pad. The axle flange has cut corners where the bolt holes are to be drilled. Just doublecheck everything before drilling..timo22

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I never used that bracket but when I installed the 8.2 rear that has bolt in wheel cylinders. The 8.2 uses the same drum and same size shoes but worked much better than the brakes on the 7.5 rear so the improvement must have been from the wheel cylinder not moving around. I think that bracket would be a noticeable improvement on the rear brakes on the 7.5 and 8.5 rear ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor