Status
Not open for further replies.

Longtimer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2005
So Cal
Wheel fitment challenge ...

Hi everyone,

First post and I already want to tap the knowledge base here. My 85 year old Dad gave my 16 year old his one owner 1979 ElCamino. I've raised my son to be a Chevy lover, but he is having a difficult time getting excited about the very worn and "boring" EC. It was clear early on that a restore was not going to satisfy him, but the idea of a very unique, tasteful revitalization has him turning a wrench with me while his Granddad is sitting and smiling at the new life going into his old ride.

The most radical departure we hope to make from the stock EC is the wheels. My son wants to paint the car charcoal gray with black only on the roof and around the edge of the bed. He wants to get a set of corvette ZR-1 Wheels that are [Black Chrome]. I've found a place that will custom build a wheel adapter to the EC, but I am concerned about wheel well room for the tires.

The Tire/Wheel sizing is as follows:
Wheels: 17 x 9.5
Tires currently mounted on wheels: 275/40 ZR17

Does anyone here have any idea if these tires will fit in the wheel well ?
If not, is it close - small mod or out of the question?

Thanks for the help!

VenomousRegal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2005
Lincoln,Ne
If I remember right, I was able to get ALOT of meat on the rear of a'79 Elcamino with NO frame mod or wheel well issues...nothing major anyhow!

However, depending on the back spacing for the front wheels, corvettes have longer control arms and are able to accept deeper dishes for wheels, I believe that will be your only issue. A quick back space measurement to inner and outer fenderwell will tell you the space issues you will have. Good luck!!

Longtimer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2005
So Cal
Thanks VenomousRegal, that's good to hear. The wheel adapters can handle the off set issues. I'm thinking of going to a wheel retailer to get actual fitment measurements. Those 275s are pretty wide.

Longtimer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2005
So Cal
Good to hear. I put 2" spacers all around the EC and tested my old vette wheels - 16" x 9.5" wearing 255 - 50 - 16s all around. The backs fit fine. The fronts rubbed BADDLY - inside bottom of rim against the upper A arm. Ugly scars and shavings. I'm hoping that I can mount some 17 x 8.5 C5 Vette wheels in front and 18 x 9.5 in back.

gmachinz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2005
Des Moines, IA
The Corvette ZR1 wheels I believe are 17x9.5 w/7.25 b/s'ing. I use a nice compromise with Impala SS wheels which are 17x9 and I run 255/45/17 tires up front and 285/40/17 on the rear-this is on a 78 Monte Carlo however. I also retained the 5 on 5 bolt pattern as well since I upgraded to B-body spindles and re-drilled my axles for the bigger bolt pattern, too. -Jabin

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
I have 17X8 wheels with 275/55/17 tires, 3 1/2" backspacing in the rear and 235/45/17 tires in the front. I just don't see how I could fit bigger wheels/tires in the rear without jacking up the rear to clear the fender wheel well lip. I have about 5/16" clearance between the tire sidewall and the frame on the inside and about 1/2" clearance between the fender lip and tire on the outside. I have AirLift bags with a 2" drop springs and I can lower the car for the tires to tuck into the wheel well without rubbing.

jims78elky

n00b
Jan 5, 2006
Sparks Nevada
I have had 275/40/17 on my 78 for 4 years now,with a 17X9.50 American
racing rim with 5" backspace.Its a tight fit you will have to trim or "roll"
the rear fender lips in and you can not use a tire ratio above a 40's series
or there will be rubbing issues,i have tried a 285/40/17 and it rubbed on
corners,so were back to a 275/40 a 50 series is out of the question and
will most definitly rub.

I do have a currie 12 bolt rear,but its at stock width no spacers and
as of last summer baer 12" rear disc brakes have been intalled but
there was no issues before the brake upgrade anyway.

the rear of the truck is 1" lower than stock 2" in front with QA1 coil
over kit 17X8 rim 4.75 backspace 245/45/17 BFG tires.

Iam strong on doing a mini-tub or frame notch for the rear so i can run
my dream wheel size 18X12 with a 345 0r 335 rear tire.

That would be interesting for sure...But for now i'll stick with the new 502
ram-jet install for spring.. :twisted:

-Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor