wheel hop

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Motor Boys

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2011
Indianapolis,IN
i have a 455 82 buick regal with a 342 eaton posi and stock suspension where should i strat to eliminate the wheel hop im having? can anybody help

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 1,053

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Start with tires if you have another set, then bushings and boxing the lowers, check the shocks.

Or just install some no hop bars from Edelbrock and be done

All Motor Boys

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2011
Indianapolis,IN
i have wheel of fa gta on it the shocks appear to be go should i repalce the stock bushing or just get boxed control arms for around $350

Attachments

• IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    324.3 KB · Views: 1,009

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I like the valve covers. Buick 455s rock. Inexpensive aftermarket lower control arms will help to hold things flat and square and put that torque to the ground instead of being wasted on suspension bind. Edelbrock has inexpensive double adjustable uppers so that you can adjust set your pinion angle (and change it easily at different tracks or with different tires) to plant the tires instead up lifting the rear and unloading the tires. Both will help with wheelhop. Hopefully you already have a good posi. An inexpensive air bag in the right rear will pre load the suspension to combat the pinion wanting to climb the ring gear ie putting the same force on both tires. Usually between 10 & 15 psi. Two solid flat black marks running about the same length will tell you when you have it right. All will help a lot especially on cheap hard tires. You probably don't need all three to eliminate hop but all will help your car become quicker more predictable and handle the power more efficiently. Thanks for the pics.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Do you have a rear sway bar? I hear that helps too. If you want to save money. Just box your stock lower arms, and replace the bushings (poly on one end, rubber on the other to prevent binding). Replace the upper bushings like with the lowers. But since it looks like your car is lowered, a set of double adjustable uppers might be a good investment. Add some new shocks (if you haven't already) and your wheel hop should be gone.

One thing I have noticed myself. The lower profile the tire, the worse the wheel hop.

So if the above doesn't get rid of the hop, add a set of anti hop bars.

I have the full Edelbrock rear set up. Double adjustable uppers, boxed lowers, anti hop bars, and the trailing arm braces. Also added new shocks and an F-41 rear sway bar. It totally got rid of the hop (my car had it bad). But I think the Edelbrock stuff is overpriced. There are other brands that are just as good for a lot less.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
From another point of view I left my upper and lower control arms stock and just installed the no-hops bars.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
axisg said:
From another point of view I left my upper and lower control arms stock and just installed the no-hops bars.

Did it work?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Phoenyx said:
axisg said:

Did it work?

yes, but to be fair I never had wheel hop to begin with as I installed the no-hop bars at the same time as the 3.73 Posi rear.
Both on the street and at the track the car does clean even burnouts and launches with no wheel hop.
The rest of the suspension is 100% stock. Old cheap canadian tire shocks, well worn springs, lower control arms are stock un-boxed, factory rear sway bar, stock unboxed upper control arms.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Yea adding on no hop bars will work also. I don't think it will work as well as in the car should handle better if you actually upgrade the suspension instead of band aiding it. But it is a cheaper easier fix and by in large it does work. Good input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor