Wheel Hop

Status
Not open for further replies.

gharris79

Apprentice
Sep 21, 2011
Miramichi NB Canada
Hey guy's what could I do to stop my rear wheel hop on my Cutlass? I got a 7.5" rear and is pretty much a stock set up with a posi.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Aftermarket rear control arms will help. Check out umi, spohn, hotchkis, hrpartsnstuff, bmr, sc&c, Iceman racing, etc they all make some

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
i must say i must be lucky for never having a problem with that. I have stock rear suspension with a oe sway bar. You may want to replace the shocks first. A good set of Monroe sense-a-trac's if you are not racing.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Its generally easier and better for minimal cost difference to use aftermarket control arms than to replace the stock bushings. A rear sway bar will also help as do shocks. Personally I will never again waste money on cheap shocks that don't do their job well or last very long. That was my experience with Monroes. Billensteins or Edelbrock ISAs work WAY better and last much longer. Shocks are not real expensive and easy to do yourself its quality that is worth the extra money imo.

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
dogshit said:
Its generally easier and better for minimal cost difference to use aftermarket control arms than to replace the stock bushings. A rear sway bar will also help as do shocks. Personally I will never again waste money on cheap shocks that don't do their job well or last very long. That was my experience with Monroes. Billensteins or Edelbrock ISAs work WAY better and last much longer. Shocks are not real expensive and easy to do yourself its quality that is worth the extra money imo.

that is surprising.....i have 20 year old monroes on mine w/o a problem (wow now thinking about it, maybe i need to freshin' mine up oh well)

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
didn't have the money for aftermarket control arms... So they were boxed, and put on a sway bar.
... zero wheel hop.

UMI Performance

Master Mechanic
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 9, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
I would recommend a set of aftermarket control arms as well, this is a good and inexpensive starting point. Depending on funds you can start with just lower control arms and see how it works for you. Upper control arms could be added at a later date.

The other option is either a lift bar or control arm relocation brackets. Both items work with axle torque forcing the rear tires into the ground.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thanks!
Ryan

gharris79

Apprentice
Sep 21, 2011
Miramichi NB Canada
I have a buddy who said try and put air bags in it. He said it wasn't a bad price for them. What do you think?

gharris79

Apprentice
Sep 21, 2011
Miramichi NB Canada
Actually i'm going to be making some changes to the car. I picked up a 85 442 for $300 on the weekend. I'm going to swap the 7.5" for the 8.5" first of all. Going to look into control arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor