Wheel offset and rear end info

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.Hodges

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2021
I’m working on getting my rear end ready to go but before I get too far I have a question. I found this car online and love the stance and the way the rear wheels are deep and the front are not. My question is what do you think was done to the rear end to achieve this? Rear is 24x15 which I don’t need 15 inch wide wheels but I would like 10 inch wide. And I would also love to have the deep dish wheel in the back.
9AB940B0-7447-4F8D-964E-B4C1D8C9A0CE.jpeg

Attachments

• E156D55B-7E70-4C34-8AA8-5F618D18AFF1.jpeg
    E156D55B-7E70-4C34-8AA8-5F618D18AFF1.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 157

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Tubbed the car and full custom rear frame section. Shortwned the rear end.. Can't do it with the stock rear frame, even notched, for 15" wide wheels....

If you only want 10" wide wheels you can fit those in stock wheel tubs, but will have to notch the frame.

Reactions: 2 users

R.Hodges

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2021
Tubbed the car and full custom rear frame section. Shortwned the rear end.. Can't do it with the stock rear frame, even notched, for 15" wide wheels....

If you only want 10" wide wheels you can fit those in stock wheel tubs, but will have to notch the frame.
Agreed. I have my frame notched already. How about the rear end? Shortened or would it be the stock width?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Really depends on what you want for wheels. To get a REALLY big dish you'll need to narrow the rear end. Plus the wheels will have to be custom made most likely. So plan on 4k at a minimum for wheels.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am tucking 13" of tire in my MCSS with no lip on a stock width axle on a 19x12. My wagon would be tucking 17x11s on something slightly narrower than a 345 also on a stock width axle. That is the upper limit on a mini-tub.

Links are in the signature.

After than you are going to be doing a lot more fab work as the lower control arms will be in the way... and they will have to be moved especially as the axle is shortened.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
A 10" wheel that tucks can fit w/the frame notched.

If you are looking for the deep dish as referred to in the initial post, you'd need to narrow the rear end. A 10" wheel w/4" of back-space is deeper than what would normally fit under a g-body w/o mods. The rear end would need to be narrower to accomplish that target. It's debatable what's better (narrowing a stock housing or aftermarket/shorter housing) since it depends on what you're working with (your skill level & what parts you have). Stock housings are ~58" so you'd be targeting a ~54" housing.

This Malibu has:
*10" rear wheels
*6"BS
*Frame notched to the seam
*Stock width housing
*Fender lip trimmed/rolled slightly

Attachments

• IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

If you are looking for the deep dish as referred to in the initial post, you'd need to narrow the rear end. A 10" wheel w/4" of back-space is deeper than what would normally fit under a g-body w/o mods. The rear end would need to be narrower to accomplish that target. It's debatable what's better (narrowing a stock housing or aftermarket/shorter housing) since it depends on what you're working with (your skill level & what parts you have). Stock housings are ~58" so you'd be targeting a ~54" housing.

This Malibu has:
*10" rear wheels
*6"BS
*Stock width housing

Man that looks good.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Man that looks good.
TY sir. That pic was ~15yrs ago. Sadly, it just sits under a tarp waiting. It's a little dirtier & faded than in that pic but still a solid, zero rust car. It's changed hands between my hot-rod brother & I more than once. I originally bought it around '95.

Reactions: 3 users

80/MALIBU/COUPE

Greasemonkey
Feb 17, 2021
TUCSON AZ

This Malibu has:
*10" rear wheels
*6"BS
*Stock width housing
WOW!!! THATS PERFECT !! What you got for diameter? and the front too if you dont mind. and how is the car lowered ? please and thank you

Reactions: 1 user

R.Hodges

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2021

This Malibu has:
*10" rear wheels
*6"BS
*Stock width housing
That looks great! That’s what I was thinking is the rear end had to be narrowed. And then custom offset wheels. Currently I have a complete 9 inch as well as a shortened 9 inch. Which the issue with the shortened 9 inch is it’s 48 inches housing to housing if I recall. So if I used that I would have to move both the lower control mounts and the shock mounts on the frame. Due to the fact that it’s too narrow to mount the mounts on the rear end in the original g body location.

going that route seems like way too much work. So I’m thinking I’ll order one from quick performance. And later down the road I’ll get the courage to modify my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor