Wheel Poll On My Mission to Turn and Stop

When the goal is to turn and stop

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Though I said I would NEVER EVER get rid of the factory SSIIIs on my 442 [well if they come off they will actually just go on my tire rack] as I still like maintaining the stock sleeper look.

Per this other thread I started . . .

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/hmmh-love-my-ssiiis-but.59113/

I am liking these 17x8 Hurst wheels a little more by the day especially if I add some 442 centers that I am confident I can fab. Moving to the 17x8s opens up a lot of much better quality tires, minus the white letters of course, which I will only miss from again liking that factory [sleeper] look it has now. And, the 17s allow for better [bigger] and cheaper brake conversion options than Blazer brakes or Baer SS4+ that the 15s limit me to.

So, almost need a poll on this one . . .

Weighing "acceptable" turn and stop performance while maintaining the factory SSIII look with splashier 245/60 BFG S-rated tires against "noticeably better" turn and stop performance with new 17x8s and H thru V rated 235/50/17s and losing the factory SSIII look?

hrst_dazzler17x8_mga_pdpfull.jpg

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
The handling and braking will be so much better as you mentioned because of the better tire options. Plus it'll give it an updated look while maintaining the classic style. I think you will be very happy.

Is your car lowered? If it is maybe a 235/45 would sit better. Stock height your size will work well.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Here is my opinion. I loved my aluminum 14" snowflakes. I even restored them. Had 215 bfg's on them. That's the old school muscle look. But With small wheels big brakes are not possible. I was really looking at cragar keystone classics 15" but my new brakes would be too big. Going bigger is nice and does call a lot more attention, looks mean, and rides on rails . But I sure will miss my 14" snowflakes and the bfg's

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Guess I should have already shared this . . . my 442 suspension is all stock at the moment. But, I am beginning talks with UMI on either moving to 1" lowered springs and shocks OR Viking coil overs if they can convince me that they work with stock A-arms [for now] . . . the car only has 28K miles on it so a bead blast and powder coat and new bushings has the front end looking nearly new. I also want to put on their pro-touring control arm setup out back to help it hook up better. Then I want to add new spindles and brakes up front so I have to make this wheel/tire decision before that can happen. Going to try to get by with the rest of the factory F41 as is for now and just see how it does? If more changes are necessary later . . . fine.

Looks like going to 17s is pretty unanimous. Since I have a new-old set of 215/65/15 Goodyear Eagle IIs sitting on the shelf I haven't used that I bought [for posterity] when I heard they were discontinuing them but I decided to just put the wider 245/60s BFGs on the car instead, I could almost finance these 17" wheels and some pretty decent 235/50 tires by selling both sets of tires I have. Something to think about . . .

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think this is a good choice in rims and also tire size.
I think the 235/50R17 will be the closest comparable tire to your 245/60R15 and keeping above a 26" diameter tire should be a good look for your car at both stock and 1" lower ride height, I feel anything shorter than a 50 series would put you barely above 25" diameter which to me always looks too short regardless of ride height.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, just to update, I would like to try the Saber U437s from US Mags [also MHTwheel] but in addition to being $600/each [OUCH!], trouble actually reaching the supplier or even their website, and getting questions answered, I am leaning toward a set of these Hurst wheels [now] in 17x8 front, 17x9 rear [hoping to add some 442 center insert overlays in place of the Hurst] and also leaning toward the BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp 2 in a 235/45/17 25.4" front, 255/45/17 26.1" rear. Continental also makes a slightly better rated ExtremeContact DW in these same sizes for just a little more money.

Sound reasonable?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R7GFSPC2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...wheelFinish=Machined+w/Gold+Accent&tab=wheels

trans.gif

My car is lowered 1" on 17s if you want to see the stance. My wheels out back are 17x9 though, had to roll the lip of the qtr for the 275s.
The wheels are C67s from Coy's Wheels. I painted the gold, they were grey. http://www.coyswheel.com/coys-c67.html
109.JPG

108.JPG

Attachments

• 108.JPG
    108.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 819
Reactions: 1 user
US%20MAGS_Saber__U43717956152_A1-700.png

Found a pic of the Sabre, WOW!

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
The wheels are C67s from Coy's Wheels. I painted the gold, they were grey. http://www.coyswheel.com/coys-c67.html

37964-c1706356cd8932629e3221976aa77837.jpg

Wow, those actually look like they belong. One thing about the Hurst wheels is it is almost too much gold. I was thinking about getting the polished black ones and paint just the inside of the spokes gold for some extra contrast. And, try to get a 442 center cap on them in place of the Hurst cap that looks like it belongs.

Unfortunately, those Saber U437s are $600 each PLUS $85 for the stupid center cap! I like them too but they are just too rich for my blood [at least at this point . . .]

Partly just cuz I will be spending nearly $5K on all my suspension/brake mods, I think I am going to continue running my SSIIIs for a while with the new suspension setup unless and until I realize that the car just won't hook up at all with those splashy 245/60/15 BFGs on it??

That said, instead of the 45 series staggered setup, I am kinda liking these General tires [even the price] . . . and could just go 245/50/17 all around if I get some 17" wheels . . . I personally would prefer to keep a 50 series sidewall for better ride quality and maintain 4 way rotation if these will stick? They are considered an ultra high performance all season sport truck - SUV tire but are W speed rated [168mph should be good . . .]

t_20110804.genhz3.xl.jpg

Wow, those actually look like they belong. One thing about the Hurst wheels is it is almost too much gold. I was thinking about getting the polished black ones and paint just the inside of the spokes gold for some extra contrast. And, try to get a 442 center cap on them in place of the Hurst cap that looks like it belongs.

Unfortunately, those Saber U437s are $600 each PLUS $85 for the stupid center cap! I like them too but they are just too rich for my blood [at least at this point . . .]

Partly just cuz I will be spending nearly $5K on all my suspension/brake mods, I think I am going to continue running my SSIIIs for a while with the new suspension setup unless and until I realize that the car just won't hook up at all with those splashy 245/60/15 BFGs on it??

That said, instead of the 45 series staggered setup, I am kinda liking these General tires [even the price] . . . and could just go 245/50/17 all around if I get some 17" wheels . . . I personally would prefer to keep a 50 series sidewall for better ride quality and maintain 4 way rotation if these will stick? They are considered an ultra high performance all season sport truck - SUV tire but are W speed rated [168mph should be good . . .]
Thanks, I was looking for an aluminum compliment to the SSIII wheel when I found them. I think if you go with 17x8 all the way around the 245/50/17 is what you want to maintain the correct wheel height for speedo calibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor