Wheel well paint ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
So what I’m looking to do is paint my front and rear wheel wells just to clean them up and get a consistent look. Car is a fair weather driver so it will see some elements what would be a good product and process to tackle this ? I have painted many engines and frames but never the wheel wells, is there a single product I can use on the front and rear since they are different materials ? Last thing I want is for the paint to start flaking off of the front plastic, or would it be better to just paint the rear and maybe somehow recondition the front plastic. Let me know what works good.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I used SEM Hot Rod black on the inners for both of my cars. Im happy with the look. I used 3M Body Schutz for the underside. Figured paint wouldnt hold up well.

IMG_0578.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
How’s the 3M holding up on the underside and did you use it on both the metal and plastic ? That pic of your inners look great by the way also.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I used Krylon Semi Gloss Black after sandblasting. Several, coats with summer days of hot weather between coats. Then a light coat of rubberized spray can (not the one that turns brown!) Has held up pretty well and is easy to touch up with the rubberized coating (helps keep the rock chips from degrading the paint as well as some sound deadning. For the front I removed all undercoating/road tar & grime then plenty of elbow grease to polish the plastic up both inside and outside surfaces (al natural)

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
How’s the 3M holding up on the underside and did you use it on both the metal and plastic ? That pic of your inners look great by the way also.
Glad you like the inners ! To be honest I havent had any road time on either car yet but Ive been using Schutz since the 80s. Not expensive, it blends well and if you crank up the pressure when you spray it it comes out pretty nice. I undercoated both of my cars with it and also a couple of my trucks when they were brand new.
That being said, if I could do it all over again I'd probably use U-pol Raptor. Nicer finish at a high PSI, hard as a rock and its tintable. Back when I used it on my Malibus Raptor wasnt an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor