Whelp..... progress? Hellcat engine to cease production after 2023 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Any engine will get much better MPGs with an overdrive transmission and proper gearing.
Exactly why the 130 hp 1.8 VVT with the 5 spd in the 2004 Corolla CE was a great balance, a nicely optioned car as well. I believe it ran around 1800 rpm at 60 mph. The Sport version had the same 1.8 with 11.5 to 1 compression and hotter cams for 173 hp and steeper final gear ratio. They ran the 1/4 decently quick, around 15 flat, I believe. It weighed 2500 pounds, that helps a lot for mpg. It actually bettered or matched the rated 53 Imperial mpg, not babying it. I got 54 mpg at best, I believe, it might have been 55 of 56 Imperial even. We tested Ford's at the Dealership in the late 90's with the Next Generation Star Tester, MPG on the fly, only one got the rated mileage at 60 mph. The rated sticker MPG was at 80 km/hr, it pissed people off when their vehicles fell short. Unlike the Datsun, it was not slow, easily could pass at any speed and could bury the 180 km/hr speedo. We would still have it if hail wouldn't have wrote it off. I should have kept if for my Daughters and not bought my Dakota. The Corolla only needed a front wheel bearing and the seat belt under warranty in its 250,000 km life. The one bad thing about the car, tires. Good tires would not last beyond 50,000 km. It had 2 wheel alignments at two different places. It also needed studded Winter tires, night and day difference. We test drove Kia's at the time and I drove a similar year Nissan Sentra when I hit a Deer with it. Neither car was as refined or got as good of MPG.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Yeah, your Corolla had the same 1ZZ engine as my Vibe. Mine has been super reliable but the AWD and 75mph freeway cruise speed won't get me anywhere near 50mpg.
The reason the 2ZZ in the Corolla S and Vibe GT ran so good is because Toyota commissioned Yamaha to design it. Kind of the difference between a Taurus and an SHO.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, your Corolla had the same 1ZZ engine as my Vibe. Mine has been super reliable but the AWD and 75mph freeway cruise speed won't get me anywhere near 50mpg.
The reason the 2ZZ in the Corolla S and Vibe GT ran so good is because Toyota commissioned Yamaha to design it. Kind of the difference between a Taurus and an SHO.
Yeah, the extra weight and AWD effect mileage. I usually drove 65 to 70+ mph. I believe it got around 50 Imperial MPG doing much 70 mph driving. Another thing I liked, Toyota did a great job making it quiet, even winding it out near red line gave very little 4 cyl sound. I am not a fan of loud small motors. Just a very well balanced car.

LS6 Tommy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2018
I'm not anti EV, I think they're pretty cool, but the EV nutcases are living in denial. They are NOT saving the planet, EVs are NOT going to completely replace ICEs, at least not in the near future. Most likely not in my lifetime.

Most of the electricity used to charge up EVs comes from FOSSIL FUEL. The country's electrical infractstructure cannot support 100% EV transportation. Hell, CA and other states have rolling blackouts now just to keep the lights on. Elon Musk and other EV wizzards have pointed this out MANY times.

Tommy

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor