When did the bucket seat design change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
What year did the bucket seat designs change? Like 78 Monte had the tall backs and then the Monte Carlo SS's had the short backs with headrests. I also noticed Cutlasses all had tall backs but my 78 Salon had the tall back with no chrome side covers. When did they go to chrome side covers? I just bought an 81 El Camino and was thinking of putting in some buckets. I have a spare set of tall backs but I kinda like the low back better for my elky. Always been curious and there's some highly knowledgeable G body guys here that will know

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I can tell you the differences in cutlass seats, the chrome side covers were for reclining seats. The other one does not recline. I think is was an option or trim specific.
That makes sense and I learned something.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
IIRC, the 1978-80 were the "High Back" seats with the head rest built in. The 1981-87 were the "European" low back seats with a separate head rest.

Doug

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I know Malibu's had tall buckets in 81 and monte's had short buckets in 83-88, but I don't know when monte's changed. did they change when the new Camaro came out in 82 for commonality, and spread the cost out between the models?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
$_1.JPG
monte_carlo_super_sport_gray_bucket_seats_100_riverside_8900009448305769649.jpg

Hunter Urban

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2015
Clayton, North Carolina
I'm looking for bucket seats with build in belts for my wagon. I'm not sure what has that. Anyone?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm looking for bucket seats with build in belts for my wagon. I'm not sure what has that. Anyone?

The seat tracks and anchors were not designed for the seat to restrain you in a collision. I'm planning on installing some BMW E30 seats that have the seat belt receiver on the seat. If I was planning on using that system I would upgrade the bolts and floor to install the BMW seat tracks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor