When did they start using double din radio's in Cutlasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
Like the subject says, I am curious if anyone knows the progression of factory stereos and factory trim options on the G-body. Of course there could easily be a whole other thread about the woodgrain patterns, but I am talking from the earlier ons with the 2 knob radios like my '83 has. I recently bought a stereo trim bezel that is double-din and it looks like it should be the same woodgrain finish. Did they have ANY double-din's in 83? If not, when did they start?
Did any of the G-body cars ever have a factory CD player or was that too high tech for them to put in?

Thanks.

86_olds

G-Body Guru
Jul 26, 2009
so cal
Re: When did they start using double din radio's in Cutlasse

i believe they are 1 1/2 din my 86 had one

joeairforce

Master Mechanic
May 30, 2008
Wright-Patterson AFB - Dayton, OH

GM never did use the double DIN size.... They only used 1 1/2 DIN.... and no they never had any CD players for them, just cassette players...... You can swap in a CD player from a '90's cutlass though to have a "factory" CD player..

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK

Oh, OK. I thought they were double judging from the size, but I don't have the item in my grubby little hands yet. That is why I bought an additional faceplate so I wouldn't have to mess mine up.

Joeairforce, do you know if the 90's models CD player are a direct plug-in with the wiring harness and a direct physical mount?

I have plenty of aftermarket gear, but I because of how infrequently I drive this car, I think I want to keep it looking stock, or semi-stock. I was originally going to do a big stereo system in it, now, I might add an 8" sub along with the factory speakers (or factory-fit speakers in original locations). I am not going to do the custom door and kick panels I originally envisioned before I bought the car.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK

That is pretty slick. I have done literally hours of searching and can't find any references as to what will work with what for a direct bolt-in/wire-in. However, I got to thinking that a person could use two radio adaptors (one for the car, one for the head unit) and wire them together, leaving the factory stuff completely intact. I guess with that in mind, you would be limited only by what would physically fit in there and your imagination.

Logically, the cheapest thing for me to do is get a cheap MP3 player and continue to use the cassette/aux in adaptor we used on the way home with the car when we used my wifes phone for a player. But, I would still rather a more solid, more permanant solution like the link you posted. I have looked for that same radio and can't find hardly any with CD's, not to mention the EQ would be nice.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Another option if you want the stealthy look of the factory cassette player is to add an MP3 jack to the stock radio. I did this to my stock radio and it works awesome. 8)

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK

FE3X CLONE said:
Another option if you want the stealthy look of the factory cassette player is to add an MP3 jack to the stock radio. I did this to my stock radio and it works awesome. 8)

I guess I am not following, is there an add-on that allows that, or do you have pull the radio and have it professionally installed? I was a professional installer back in 88-90 but a LOT has changed since then. I have totally lost track of what's available for factory stuff.

ibeeel2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2009
Chicago, IL

Hey 83hurst-olds, Gm changed over to din and a half radios in 1984. They changed harnesses and antennas over in 1988. So you will need a regualar harness for 78-88 and a reverse harness for 88 and up and I think an antenna adapter. You can go to Scosche or Metra for a harness. Or you can just pick something up at a Best Buy install, they sell them. Also you are going to have to use the brackets from your old radio on your new one to get it to fit right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor