When is the choke light supposed to light on a 78 with the factory gauge package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Cluster/bezel swap in the past, maybe?

Seems odd there would be provision for a choke lamp on a carline that wasn't going to get an electric choke until the 1980 model year

As an aside, I know the 78s got black bezels on all cars with the standard cluster, did that apply to optional gauge package cars as well?

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Cluster/bezel swap in the past, maybe?

Seems odd there would be provision for a choke lamp on a carline that wasn't going to get an electric choke until the 1980 model year

As an aside, I know the 78s got black bezels on all cars with the standard cluster, did that apply to optional gauge package cars as well?
Yes 78's had the black bezel. 79's had the color matched bezel. Mine has the original black bezel with gold trim. It also has 1977 cast into it. Car was an uncut, unmolested original car. I am very confident it was original. I have 1 other 78 cluster and 3 79 clusters and they have it as well. I just figured it might be used as the oil warning light.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Ok I found this in the 78 owners manual this morning. Anyone have a wiring diagram of that circuit?
IMG_20190129_083954725.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I take the owner's manual to indicate that some powertrain combinations used an electric choke instead of the hot air choke, and would then use the warning lamp. Similar wording and wiring is indicated in the 1980 shop manual.

Surprising that they would not have spec'd a separate cluster for that particular combination...perhaps they felt the numbers would be so low that the tooling costs would be more than the cost of the extraneous lamp being used on all the clusters. Odd, though, as GM had a long history of making different assemblies for the smallest of variances.

My guess is that the engine harness only included the choke wiring on that specific powertrain combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor