When selling a project...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
When selling a project car is it better for it to be assembled or in some stage of disassembly? I partially disassembled my 442 project car some years ago but am not going to get to the restoration. Does it help or scare off potential buyers if they see a car that's taken apart? On one hand, some of the work is already done for the next owner. That saves time and money. On the other hand, potential buyers might question if the car is truly complete. Some might want to disassemble it themselves to see how to reassemble it later. You get a better look at the overall condition of the car if it's complete. There are many reasons pro and con. So... Prefer disassembled or complete?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The hardest part is making sure all the pieces are there and undamaged from storage, and most buyers have no idea how to a G-body goes together, plus they will have to haul this themselves unless the bits fit inside the car so it can be shipped. Be prepared for a lower price. Also, as rare as a factory manual 442 is, the potential market that would appreciate such a rarity is small.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think they are easier to market if it looks more complete. I don't mean finished, but, bolted back together in some fashion seems to help, so your potential buyer and 'see' a finished version. Just my 0.02.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
A disassembled car turns me off. Like you said, I want to take it apart so I can better understand how it goes back together. Also, I prefer a project car to be as complete as possible.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
I had been thinking about putting it back together anyways. I wasn't sure what kind of reaction I'd have to it being listed in it's current state, but I posted it as is. I figured that I'd show the major flaws of the car and not hide them. No one likes surprises like that. I certainly don't. I know I prefer cars that are complete. Looks like I know what I'm doing in the next week or so if work isn't too busy. Should be an easy project- everything is labeled, bagged, or tagged. Just won't be able to put the side glass or rear windshield back in. It'll be the first time it's been together in 6-7 years.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If someone is interested in buying a project I would think they know the car.....Plus since you everything bagged that would help the sale

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
No one really wants to buy a car in boxes

I know some people who look for unfinished projects, they get a better deal....and then some like to have a car in a box...

Lada_2196460k.jpg

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
My main concern would be if all of the pieces are there. It's a lot easier to tell what's missing on an assembled car.
My neighbor bought a partially disassembled 71 Nova years ago. I told him not to buy it but he did. It took me several years to find parts and build his car. I still kid him that he bought 1/2 of a Nova! Timo22

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor