When the car that got you into G bodies comes up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Or at least one of them. This is one of those 'don't meet your heros' situations I guess.

There were 3 cars in or around my home town that got me into G bodies.
1. A blue 78-81 malibu wagon, it got cut up about 15 years ago for scrap, the frame got donated to a 50's chevy pickup streetrod
2. A guy that owned like 3 GN's in the big town an hour away who had one of his cars at the indoor winter car show every year
3. And this tutone Conquista Elco that was a few blocks way from home

Original owner, 82 conquista with the topper that has been on it since the day it rolled off the dealer lot. Sadly in the last 10 years the bottom has started rusting out bad, and judging how old the elderly lady was that drove it 10-15 years ago, she either passed or can't drive anymore. It was always spotless and the paint still looks deep.

267 SBC, ~90k miles, driven year round. That's like 2000 miles a year. Really sad that from the trim line up its as nice as it is, and from the trim line down its as poor as it is.

Seller is asking $6000 for it, if I was foolish and had room id buy it.
1639794885372.png

1639795033915.png

1639795052901.png

1639795076213.png

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Or at least one of them. This is one of those 'don't meet your heros' situations I guess.

There were 3 cars in or around my home town that got me into G bodies.
1. A blue 78-81 malibu wagon, it got cut up about 15 years ago for scrap, the frame got donated to a 50's chevy pickup streetrod
2. A guy that owned like 3 GN's in the big town an hour away who had one of his cars at the indoor winter car show every year
3. And this tutone Conquista Elco that was a few blocks way from home

Original owner, 82 conquista with the topper that has been on it since the day it rolled off the dealer lot. Sadly in the last 10 years the bottom has started rusting out bad, and judging how old the elderly lady was that drove it 10-15 years ago, she either passed or can't drive anymore. It was always spotless and the paint still looks deep.

267 SBC, ~90k miles, driven year round. That's like 2000 miles a year. Really sad that from the trim line up its as nice as it is, and from the trim line down its as poor as it is.

Seller is asking $6000 for it, if I was foolish and had room id buy it.
View attachment 188651
View attachment 188652
View attachment 188653
View attachment 188654
But you know, if the inside is as nice as the body above the body line, I'd probably buy it too.

Nice thing about the tutone and body line is the lower rust could be repaired and repainted, and the car would still be 95% original paint survivor. Say what you will about how deep a high quality clear is, I prefer an old lacquer paint anytime I can get it.

Nice chrome, hard to find bits in nice shape, and that topper probably saved the harder to fix rust areas of the bed.

Maybe 6k is kind of high. But if the interior is pristine, and the frame isn't rotted... well, there's worse ways to spend 6k.

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
I grew up in Minnesota so understand how rusty a Minnesota car can get. 6k sounds really high to me . I paid 6k for my Caballero and it’s rust free. You would save a lot of money buy getting an El Camino from the south . I see good deals in Texas and Oklahoma all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor