Where did all the condensers go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezer gone wild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2020
Tobaccoville, NC
Yes pontiacgp, autozone has several choices, however I'm using the 91-94 truck serpentine setup with a Sanyo compressor that will need hoses made and I'm trying to keep the connections on the right side. The Spectra 7-4013 type was perfect. I still have the original condenser but a newer parallel flow is recommended for 134a. Thanks for all the responses. I'll figure something out. This project is a good example of what my friend calls 'scope creep'. Starts as " I'll put my engine in this cremepuff and sock a 5 speed behind it". Gas tank had a gallon of greasy mud- no problem- replacements are reasonable. Well, maybe will want a LS swap at some point-let's go ahead and put electric pump while it's out. Now have bought a Sniper EFI. "Scope creep". But I will conquer !

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
LOL, Swear to God, I thought you were talking about points condensers. Are you looking for OEM or will something generic do?

HEI still uses condensers under the cap, even the computer advance ones.

• Informative

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Something is definitely going on with condensers, and not just gbody ones. Before I left lordco about a month ago, it seemed like all condensers were in short supply. I specifically remember not finding any stock across the country for a caprice, a caravan, and something else that was a really common part number. We dealt with spectra and four seasons.

• Wow

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I blame...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Yes pontiacgp, autozone has several choices, however I'm using the 91-94 truck serpentine setup with a Sanyo compressor that will need hoses made and I'm trying to keep the connections on the right side. The Spectra 7-4013 type was perfect. I still have the original condenser but a newer parallel flow is recommended for 134a. Thanks for all the responses. I'll figure something out. This project is a good example of what my friend calls 'scope creep'. Starts as " I'll put my engine in this cremepuff and sock a 5 speed behind it". Gas tank had a gallon of greasy mud- no problem- replacements are reasonable. Well, maybe will want a LS swap at some point-let's go ahead and put electric pump while it's out. Now have bought a Sniper EFI. "Scope creep". But I will conquer !

I just bought a condenser for my wagon. I also needed one from Cutlass since the crate motor has the compressor on the right side. I bought one from rockauto. A Spectra. Came in a damaged box and the fins were crushed. They sent a second to replace it. Also came damaged.
My advice is dont get one online. Try to find a local auto parts or radiator shop that can find one and get it from them. This way they have to go through the work of replacing it. The brand I bought was an APDI.

YungFlip43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
Yeah it’s crazy. iWanted the Spectra sooo bad. iEven found them “in stock” finally from AutoAnything just for them to take my money then say they didn’t have it. Ended up paying more than the cheapest price found for a GDP one from Rock Auto. This was a couple months ago tho.

cruisincarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 3, 2020
Spectra Premium is not selling to the US anymore. That's why the big box stores and the independents can't get one. Napa is going to Reach heating and cooling

86 Chevy El Camino SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
Va.
Yup,

just went through the whole process that your going through now.
I needed a spectra 7-3232 for my camino, but as I found out, the $120 something spectra was nowhere to be found...., Anywhere!

I called spectra out of Montreal, and they confirmed that they had discontinued that model and a few others.

So after an exhaustive search, I found someone that will build what I need..., a new condenser.

Here are the catches though...,

1) $300 + shipping

2) custom order, small shop build.

3) 4 to 8 weeks lead time..., maybe longer. They are Really backed up!

4) it's parallel flow.

5) Did not commit to a discount after offering to by five from him. ( In case any one else was interested in replacing their condenser) Let me know, if so, i'll try and push him on a bulk purchase if worth it, and if he will do it.

6) Have my order in now, been 2 weeks so far.

So we will see. Won't have A/C this year it looks like but maybe next spring I can at least have it in by then.

You can put your own order in here......

https://www.originalair.com/1978-1984-chevrolet-el-camino-ac-condenser-parallel-flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor