Where did this come from????

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVDave

Apprentice
Oct 28, 2021
Arvada, CO
Steering column part?

I've had the steering column apart, and don't recall a part like this. Actually, I've been deep into most interior parts and don't recall seeing this part.

It could be an internal part of the HVAC slider assembly or fan switch- They both use a stack of parts around a shaft and may have used this as a stop or friction spring.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I'm glad to hear you don't think it's from the steering column because I've never had it apart.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
It does fit the base of that style bulb snugly so it is possible. It's also possible bits not from the MC. Just want to verify that nobody thinks it's from this linkage? Thanks again

Attachments

• PXL_20211127_021034659.jpg
    PXL_20211127_021034659.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If it's from that linkage, it's been added by someone else. GM didn't put that in there. They did use a washer, but that was for the spring seat on the nylon swivel ball as a base for the bracket end of the spring. The upper washer that the linkage hooks to the column was also a flat washer. That little ring you found isn't wide enough to do either job.

This is a head-scratcher.

Here's what should be in your backdrive linkage, #2 and #9 are the washers. #14 is the spring washer under the adjusting bolt, and it appears yours is intact. I've bought every single piece of this backdrive linkage you see below for MW9 new from GM and don't remember seeing a washer or ring like the one you found. And btw, GM never put a lugnut in the #10 slot. :roll:

backdrive linkage G-body.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor